Minna J. Kohler, MD
Director, Rheumatology Musculoskeletal Ultrasound Program
- Department of Medicine
- Clinical Interests
- Rheumatoid and Psoriatic arthritis
- Inflammatory arthritis
- Musculoskeletal disorders (Bursitis, Tendinitis, Overuse)
- Musculoskeletal ultrasound
- Ultrasound-guided injections
- Non-operative management of orthopedic problems
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- General rheumatology
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Waltham: Mass General West
- Medical Education
- MD, University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine
- Residency, Lahey Clinic
- Residency, Memorial Medical Center
- Fellowship, Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Fellowship, Yale-New Haven Hospital
- Board Certifications
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Rheumatology, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Accepting New Patients
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
Cigna (PAL #'s)
Fallon Community HealthCare
ForMost Managed Care
Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
Humana/Choice Care PPO
Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
OSW - Maine
OSW - Rhode Island
Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
Tufts Health Plan
United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
Minna Kohler, M.D. is the Director of the Rheumatology Musculoskeletal Ultrasound (MSK US) Program at MGH. Dr. Kohler completed a clinical & research rheumatology fellowship at Yale University School of Medicine. Prior to her rheumatology training, Dr. Kohler completed 3 years of general surgery training, followed by a 2 year NIH-sponsored fellowship in Image-Guided Therapy in the Department of Radiology at Brigham and Women's Hospital.
Dr. Kohler received dedicated diagnostic & interventional MSK US training under the supervision of Dr. John Reach, Director of the Yale Foot /Ankle Service & the Yale MSK US program for surgeons in the Department of Orthopaedics/Rehabilitation, where they co-founded the first collaborative rheumatology/orthopedic MSK US injection clinic at the Yale/West Haven CT VA Medical Center in 2009. Dr. Kohler is also a graduate of the USSONAR (Ultrasound School of North American Rheumatologists) program.
Dr. Kohler initiated the first dedicated rheumatology MSK US clinic at MGH in July 2011. She is one of the US faculty instructors for the American College of Rheumatology MSK US courses, a USSONAR faculty mentor, & has instructed at multiple US workshops for Harvard medical students, MGH Rheumatology, Orthopedics, & Emergency Departments. Dr. Kohler has educational/research interests in point-of-care ultrasound as it relates to arthritis & musculoskeletal disorders.
ResearchClinical research studies:
1. Point-of-Care Ultrasound in Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome (GTPS) (PI: Minna Kohler, MD)
- We are looking for patients age 18 and above with lateral hip pain thought to be due to trochanteric bursitis or GTPS.
- Currently enrolling.
- For more information about the study, please contact Dr. Naina Rastalsky, 617-726-7938.
2. Chemokine and cytokine expression by leukocytes in inflammatory arthritis (PI: Andrew Luster, MD PhD)
- We are looking for patients with rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis or gout with a joint effusion.
- Currently enrolling.
- For more information about the study, please contact Dr. Kohler or Dr. Kim, 617-726-7938.
American College of Rheumatology Abstracts:
View my most recent publications at PubMed
Fraenkel L, Falzer P, Fried T, Kohler M, Peters E, Kerns R, Leventhal H. Measuring Pain Impact Versus Pain Severity Using a Numeric Rating Scale. J Gen Intern Med. 2011 Nov 12. Epub ahead of print.
Makris UE, Kohler MJ, Fraenkel L. Adverse effects of topical nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs in older adults with osteoarthritis: a systematic literature review. J Rheumatol. 2010;37(6):1236-43. Epub 2010 Apr 1.
55 Fruit Street
Yawkey Center for Outpatient Care
Boston, MA 02114-2696
Call the Massachusetts General Hospital physician referral service at 800-711-4644.
Mass General accepts most health insurance plans. Find out what you need to know before coming to Mass General.
Driving to Mass General? Get driving directions or locate a parking lot on the hospital's main campus.