Minna J. Kohler, MD
Director, Rheumatology Musculoskeletal Ultrasound Program
- Department of Medicine
- Clinical Interests
- Rheumatoid and Psoriatic arthritis
- Inflammatory arthritis
- Musculoskeletal disorders (Bursitis, Tendinitis, Overuse)
- Musculoskeletal ultrasound
- Ultrasound-guided injections
- Non-operative management of orthopedic problems
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- General rheumatology
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Medical Education
- MD, University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine
- Residency, Lahey Clinic
- Residency, Memorial Medical Center
- Fellowship, Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Fellowship, Yale-New Haven Hospital
- Board Certifications
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Rheumatology, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Accepting New Patients
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
Cigna (PAL #'s)
Fallon Community HealthCare
ForMost Managed Care
Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
Humana/Choice Care PPO
Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
OSW - Maine
OSW - Rhode Island
Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
Tufts Health Plan
United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
Minna Kohler, M.D. is the Director of the Rheumatology Musculoskeletal Ultrasound (MSKUS) Program at MGH. Dr. Kohler completed a clinical & research rheumatology fellowship at Yale University School of Medicine. Prior to her rheumatology training, Dr. Kohler completed 3 years of general surgery training, and a 2 year NIH-sponsored fellowship in Image-Guided Therapy in the Department of Radiology at Brigham and Women's Hospital. Dr. Kohler received diagnostic/ interventional MSKUS training from Dr. John Reach, Director of the Yale Foot /Ankle Service in the Yale MSKUS program for surgeons in the Department of Orthopaedics/Rehabilitation, where they co-founded the first collaborative rheumatology/orthopedic MSK US injection clinic at the Yale/West Haven CT VA Medical Center in 2009. Dr. Kohler is a graduate of the USSONAR (Ultrasound School of North American Rheumatologists) program and now serves as a faculty mentor. Dr. Kohler initiated the first dedicated rheumatology MSKUS clinic at MGH in July 2011. She is a member of the American College of Rheumatology (ACR) MSKUS Education Committee and a faculty instructor for the ACR MSKUS courses. She teaches MSKUS to Harvard medical students, IM residents, MGH Rheumatology, Orthopedics, & Emergency Departments, and Spaulding PM&R residents. Dr. Kohler has educational/research interests in point-of-care ultrasound as it relates to arthritis, musculoskeletal disorders, and vasculitis.
ResearchClinical research studies:
1. Point-of-Care Ultrasound in Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome (GTPS) (PI: Minna Kohler, MD)
- We are looking for patients age 18 and above with lateral hip pain thought to be due to trochanteric bursitis or GTPS.
- Currently enrolling.
- For more information about the study, please contact Dr. Naina Rastalsky, 617-726-7938.
2. Chemokine and cytokine expression by leukocytes in inflammatory arthritis (PI: Andrew Luster, MD)
- We are looking for patients with rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis or gout with a joint effusion.
- Currently enrolling.
- For more information about the study, please contact Dr. Kohler or Dr. Kim, 617-726-7938.
3. Predictors of Response to Treatment for Shoulder Pain (PI: Minna Kohler, MD)
- We are looking for patients age 18 and above with shoulder pain thought to be due to impingment syndrome (rotator cuff tendinitis/bursitis)
- Currently enrolling at MGH Boston and North Shore Medical Center (NSMC)
- For more information about the study, please contact Dr. Kohler (617-726-7938) or Dr. Amorese (NSMC- 978-646-2100)
American College of Rheumatology Abstracts:
View my most recent publications at PubMed
Kohler MJ, Amezaga M, Drozd J, Crowley ST, Gulanski B, Anderson DR, Fraenkel L. Use of a computerized order set to increase prescription of calcium and vitamin d supplementation in patients receiving glucocorticoids. J Gen Intern Med. 2013 June 28(6):825-9. Epub 2013 Feb 13
Fraenkel L, Falzer P, Fried T, Kohler M, Peters E, Kerns R, Leventhal H. Measuring Pain Impact Versus Pain Severity Using a Numeric Rating Scale. J Gen Intern Med. 2011 Nov 12. Epub ahead of print.
Makris UE, Kohler MJ, Fraenkel L. Adverse effects of topical nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs in older adults with osteoarthritis: a systematic literature review. J Rheumatol. 2010;37(6):1236-43. Epub 2010 Apr 1.
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
Call the Massachusetts General Hospital physician referral service at 800-711-4644.
Mass General accepts most health insurance plans. Find out what you need to know before coming to Mass General.
Driving to Mass General? Get driving directions or locate a parking lot on the hospital's main campus.