- Clinical Interests
- Non-operative management of orthopedic problems
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Inflammatory arthritis
- Musculoskeletal disorders (Bursitis, Tendinitis, Overuse)
- Gout and pseudogout
- Ultrasound-guided injections
- Psoriatic arthritis
- Musculoskeletal ultrasound
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Medical Education
- MD, University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine
- Residency, Lahey Clinic|Residency, Memorial Medical Center
- Fellowship, Brigham and Women's Hospital|Fellowship, Yale-New Haven Hospital
- Board Certifications
- Internal Medicine
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Patient Gateway
- Yes, learn more
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
Minna Kohler, M.D. is the Director of the Rheumatology Musculoskeletal Ultrasound (MSKUS) Program at MGH. Dr. Kohler completed a clinical & research rheumatology fellowship at Yale University School of Medicine. Prior to her rheumatology training, Dr. Kohler completed 3 years of general surgery training, and a 2 year NIH-sponsored fellowship in Image-Guided Therapy in the Department of Radiology at Brigham and Women's Hospital. Dr. Kohler received diagnostic/ interventional MSKUS training in the Yale MSKUS program for surgeons in the Department of Orthopaedics/Rehabilitation. She co-founded the first collaborative rheumatology/orthopedic MSKUS injection clinic at the Yale/West Haven CT VA Medical Center in 2009. Dr. Kohler is a graduate of the USSONAR (Ultrasound School of North American Rheumatologists) program and now serves as a faculty mentor. Dr. Kohler initiated the first dedicated rheumatology MSKUS clinic at MGH in July 2011. She is the co-director for the Harvard Medical School pilot ultrasound curriculum for medical students & representative for the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine ultrasound in medical education interest group. She is a member of the American College of Rheumatology (ACR) MSKUS Education Committee and a faculty instructor for the ACR MSKUS courses. Dr. Kohler teaches MSKUS to Harvard medical students, IM residents, MGH Rheumatology, Orthopedics, & Emergency Departments, and Spaulding PM&R residents. Dr. Kohler has educational/research interests in point-of-care ultrasound as it relates to arthritis, tendinitis, bursitis, vasculitis, and other musculoskeletal and rheumatic diseases.
- Research Summary
- Clinical research studies:
1. Impact of a Dedicated Academic Musculoskeletal Ultrasound Clinic on Patient Care and Healthcare Costs (PI: Minna Kohler, MD)
2. Point-of-Care Ultrasound in Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome (GTPS) (PI: Minna Kohler, MD)
3. Chemokine and cytokine expression by leukocytes in inflammatory arthritis (PI: Andrew Luster, MD)
- We are looking for patients with rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis or gout with a joint effusion.
- For more information about the study, please contact Dr. Kohler or Dr. Kim, 617-726-7938.
American College of Rheumatology Abstracts:
Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
Luz J, Siddiqui I, Jain NB, Kohler MJ, Donovan J, Gerrard P, Borg-Stein J. Resident-Perceived Benefit of a Diagnostic & Interventional Musculoskeletal Ultrasound Curriculum: A Multifaceted Approach Using Independent Study, Peer Teaching, and Interdisciplinary Collaboration. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2015 Jun
Luz J, Johnson AH, Kohler MJ. Point-of-care Ultrasonography in the Diagnosis and Management of Superficial Peroneal Nerve Entrapement: Case Series. Foot Ankle Int. 2014 Sept 23
Kohler MJ, Amezaga M, Drozd J, Crowley ST, Gulanski B, Anderson DR, Fraenkel L. Use of a computerized order set to increase prescription of calcium and vitamin d supplementation in patients receiving glucocorticoids. J Gen Intern Med. 2013 June 28(6):825-9.
Fraenkel L, Falzer P, Fried T, Kohler M, Peters E, Kerns R, Leventhal H. Measuring Pain Impact Versus Pain Severity Using a Numeric Rating Scale. J Gen Intern Med. 2012 May 27;(5):555-60.
Makris UE, Kohler MJ, Fraenkel L. Adverse effects of topical nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs in older adults with osteoarthritis: a systematic literature review. J Rheumatol. 2010 Jun;37(6):1236-43.
55 Fruit Street
Boston MA, 02114-2696