Dr. Ly is a fine needle aspiration (FNA) biopsy specialist. She has taught FNA in many forums, including internationally.
- Centers & Specialties
- Clinical Interests
- Breast pathology
- Medical Education
- MD, Cornell University Medical College
- Residency, Stanford University Medical Center
- Fellowship, Stanford University Medical Center
- Board Certifications
- Anatomic Pathology
- Foreign Languages
- Mandarin Chinese
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
- Adult and Pediatric
Dr. Ly's principal clinical interests are in breast pathology and cytopathology. She has extensive training and experience in performing and interpreting fine needle aspiration biopsies.
Dr. Ly received her Anatomic Pathology and Cytopathology training at Stanford University Hospital, CA. Dr. Ly is board certified in Anatomic Pathology and Cytopathology. She received her MD degree from Cornell University and her BS degree in Biology from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
After completing her training in 2009, Dr. Ly practiced cytopathology and breast surgical pathology at the Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, MA, where she was also Director of the Circulating Tumor Cell Research Core Laboratory. Dr. Ly joined the staff of the Massachusetts General Hospital in 2012. In addition to practicing general cytopathology, Dr. Ly is a member of the Breast Surgical Pathology Division, and Director of the Fine Needle Aspiration Service.
- Research Summary
Dr. Ly's research interests include adjuvant therapy-induced changes in breast cancer, the utility of cytologic specimens for molecular studies, and circulating tumor cells in breast cancer patients.
Dong J, Ly A* et al. Breast Fine Needle Aspiration Continues to be Relevant in a Large Academic Medical Center. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2016 Jul 6. *Co-first author.
- Ly A et al. Fine needle aspiration biopsy of palpable breast masses: patterns of clinical use and patient experience. J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2016 May.
- Aisagbonhi O, DeLelys M, Hartford N, Preffer F, Ly A. Utility of flow cytometry in diagnosing hematologic malignancy in tonsillar tissue. Int J Surg Pathol. Accepted for publication.
- Ly A et al. Increased rate of atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance and declining high risk human papilloma virus rates following implementation of Thinprep Imaging system are associated with increased nuclear chromasia. J Am Soc Cytopathol. Mar 2014.
- Reisenbichler E, Lester S, Richardson A, Dillon D, Ly A, Brock J. Interobserver concordance in implementing 2010 ASCO/CAP recommendations for reporting ER in breast carcinomas. Am J Clin Pathol. 2013 Oct.
- Ly A, Kong CS. Fine needle aspiration of the breast. In Practical Breast Pathology. 2012.
- Ly A, Lester S, Dillon D. Prognostic factors for patients with breast cancer: traditional and new. In Current Concepts in Breast Pathology: Diagnostic Dilemmas and New Insights. 2012.
- Ly A. Fine needle aspiration techniques and specimen handling. In Cytopathology. 2014.
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696