Amy Ly, MD
Assistant Pathologist, Massachusetts General Hospital
Director, Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy Service
Instructor in Pathology, Harvard Medical School
Dr. Ly is a fine needle aspiration (FN) biopsy specialist. She has published many books and articles, and lectures internationally.
- Department of Pathology
- Cancer Center
- Breast Cancer
- Clinical Interests
- Breast pathology
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Medical Education
- MD, Weill Cornell College of Medicine
- Residency, Stanford University Medical Center
- Fellowship, Stanford University Medical Center
- Board Certifications
- Anatomic Pathology, American Board of Pathology
- Cytopathology, American Board of Pathology
- Foreign Languages
- Patient Age Group
- Adult and pediatric
- Accepting New Patients
- Accepting New Patients
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
Cigna (PAL #'s)
Fallon Community HealthCare
Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
Humana/Choice Care PPO
Medicare - ACD
Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
OSW - Maine
OSW - New Hampshire
OSW - Rhode Island
Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
Railroad Medicare - ACD
Senior Whole Health
Tufts Health Plan
United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
Dr. Ly's principal clinical interests are in breast pathology and cytopathology. She has extensive training and experience in performing and interpreting fine needle aspiration biopsies.
Dr. Ly received her Anatomic Pathology and Cytopathology training at Stanford University Hospital, CA. Dr. Ly is board certified in Anatomic Pathology and Cytopathology. She received her MD degree from Cornell University and her BS degree in Biology from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
After completing her training in 2009, Dr. Ly practiced cytopathology and breast surgical pathology at the Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, MA, where she was also Director of the Circulating Tumor Cell Research Core Laboratory. Dr. Ly joined the staff of the Massachusetts General Hospital in 2012. In addition to practicing general cytopathology, Dr. Ly is a member of the Breast Surgical Pathology Division, and Director of the Fine Needle Aspiration Service.
Dr. Ly's research interests include adjuvant therapy-induced changes in breast cancer, the utility of cytologic specimens for molecular studies, and circulating tumor cells in breast cancer patients.
- Sahni VA, Ly A, Silverman SG. Usefulness of percutaneous biopsy in diagnosing benign renal masses that mimic malignancy. Abdom Imaging. 2011 Feb;36(1):91-101. PMID: 20049430.
- Barnett SW, Lu S, Srivastava I, Cherpelis S, Gettie A, Blanchard J, Wang S, Mboudjeka I, Leung L, Lian Y, Fong A, Buckner C, Ly A, Hilt S, Ulmer J, Wild C, Mascola J, Stamatatos L. The ability of an oligomeric HIV-1 envelope antigen to elicit neutralizing antibodies against primary HIV-1 isolates is improved following the partial deletion of the second hypervariable region. J. Virol. 2001 Jun;75(12):5526-40.
- Ly A, Stamatatos L. V2 loop glycosylation of the human immunodeficiency virus type 1 SF162 envelope facilitates interaction of this protein with CD4 and CCR5 receptors and protects the virus from neutralization by anti-V3 loop and anti-CD4 binding site antibodies. J. Virol. 2000 Aug;74(15):6769-76.
- Ly A and Kong CS. Fine needle aspiration of the breast. In Practical Breast Pathology, edited by Atkins and Kong. Saunders, 2012 (in press). Ly A, Lester S, Dillon D. Prognostic factors for patients with breast cancer: traditional and new. In Current Concepts in Breast Pathology: Diagnostic Dilemmas and New Insights, edited by Stuart J. Schnitt and Sandra Shin. Elsevier, 2012.
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
Call the Massachusetts General Hospital physician referral service at 800-711-4644.
Mass General accepts most health insurance plans. Find out what you need to know before coming to Mass General.
Driving to Mass General? Get driving directions or locate a parking lot on the hospital's main campus.