Dr. Ly is a fine needle aspiration (FN) biopsy specialist. She has published many books and articles, and lectures internationally.
- Centers & Specialties
- Clinical Interests
- Breast pathology
- Medical Education
- MD, Weill Cornell College of Medicine
- Residency, Stanford University Medical Center
- Fellowship, Stanford University Medical Center
- Board Certifications
- Anatomic Pathology
- Foreign Languages
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Patient Age Group
- Adult and Pediatric
Dr. Ly's principal clinical interests are in breast pathology and cytopathology. She has extensive training and experience in performing and interpreting fine needle aspiration biopsies.
Dr. Ly received her Anatomic Pathology and Cytopathology training at Stanford University Hospital, CA. Dr. Ly is board certified in Anatomic Pathology and Cytopathology. She received her MD degree from Cornell University and her BS degree in Biology from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
After completing her training in 2009, Dr. Ly practiced cytopathology and breast surgical pathology at the Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, MA, where she was also Director of the Circulating Tumor Cell Research Core Laboratory. Dr. Ly joined the staff of the Massachusetts General Hospital in 2012. In addition to practicing general cytopathology, Dr. Ly is a member of the Breast Surgical Pathology Division, and Director of the Fine Needle Aspiration Service.
- Research Summary
Dr. Ly's research interests include adjuvant therapy-induced changes in breast cancer, the utility of cytologic specimens for molecular studies, and circulating tumor cells in breast cancer patients.
- Sahni VA, Ly A, Silverman SG. Usefulness of percutaneous biopsy in diagnosing benign renal masses that mimic malignancy. Abdom Imaging. 2011 Feb;36(1):91-101. PMID: 20049430.
- Barnett SW, Lu S, Srivastava I, Cherpelis S, Gettie A, Blanchard J, Wang S, Mboudjeka I, Leung L, Lian Y, Fong A, Buckner C, Ly A, Hilt S, Ulmer J, Wild C, Mascola J, Stamatatos L. The ability of an oligomeric HIV-1 envelope antigen to elicit neutralizing antibodies against primary HIV-1 isolates is improved following the partial deletion of the second hypervariable region. J. Virol. 2001 Jun;75(12):5526-40.
- Ly A, Stamatatos L. V2 loop glycosylation of the human immunodeficiency virus type 1 SF162 envelope facilitates interaction of this protein with CD4 and CCR5 receptors and protects the virus from neutralization by anti-V3 loop and anti-CD4 binding site antibodies. J. Virol. 2000 Aug;74(15):6769-76.
- Ly A and Kong CS. Fine needle aspiration of the breast. In Practical Breast Pathology, edited by Atkins and Kong. Saunders, 2012 (in press). Ly A, Lester S, Dillon D. Prognostic factors for patients with breast cancer: traditional and new. In Current Concepts in Breast Pathology: Diagnostic Dilemmas and New Insights, edited by Stuart J. Schnitt and Sandra Shin. Elsevier, 2012.
55 Fruit Street
Boston MA, 02114-2696
Phone 1: 617-726-2967