Esperance A. Schaefer, MD, MPH
- Department of Medicine
- Digestive Healthcare Center
- Clinical Interests
- Viral hepatitis
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease
- Autoimmune hepatitis
- Abnormal liver function tests
- Chronic Liver Diseases
- General gastroenterology
- EGD and colonoscopy
- Boston: Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Danvers: The Mass General/North Shore Center for Outpatient Care
- Medical Education
- MD, MPH, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Board Certifications
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Gastroenterology, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Accepting New Patients
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
Cigna (PAL #'s)
Fallon Community HealthCare
Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
Humana/Choice Care PPO
Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
OSW - Maine
OSW - New Hampshire
OSW - Rhode Island
Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
Tufts Health Plan
United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
BiographyDr. Schaefer is a graduate of Columbia Medical School (New York, NY) where she received her M.D. and M.P.H. She completed both her Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology training at Massachusetts General Hospital, and is an Instructor on the faculty of Harvard Medical School.
Dr. Schaefer has clinical expertise in liver disease (hepatology): from abnormal liver tests to cirrhosis end-stage liver disease. She sees patients with all types of liver disease including viral hepatitis, fatty liver disease, alcoholic liver disease, autoimmune liver disease, and biliary liver diseases. She also performs upper endoscopies, as well as diagnostic and screening colonoscopy.
Dr. Schaefer is actively engaged in basic and translational research in viral hepatitis C and in non-alcoholic fatty liver.
ResearchDr. Schaefer's research centers around the role of lipid metabolism during infection with the hepatitis C virus, and the roles of hypoxia (low oxygen levels), lipid metabolism, and small RNA molecules in the development of non-alcoholic fatty liver.
View my most recent publications at PubMed
- Peng LF, Schaefer EA, Maloof N, et al. Ceestatin, a Novel Small Molecule Inhibitor of Hepatitis C Virus Replication, Inhibits 3-Hydroxy-3Methylglutaryl-Coenzyme A Synthase. J Infect Disease 2011.
- Rodgers MA, Villareal VA, Schaefer EA, et al. Lipid Metabolite Profiling Identifies Desmosterol Metabolism as a New Antiviral Target for Hepatitis C Virus. J Am Chem Soc 2012.
- Schaefer EA and Chung RT. Anti-hepatitis C virus drugs in development. Gastroenterology 2012.
- Ding Q, Lee Y, Schaefer EA, et al. A TALEN genome editing system for generating human stem cell based disease models. Cell Stem Cell 2013.
- Schaefer EA and Chung RT. HIV and HCV Coinfection: Where are we in 2010? Current Hepatitis Reports 2010.
- Schaefer EA and Chung RT. The Impact of human gene polymorphisms on HCV infection and disease outcome. Semin Liver Dis 2011.
- Schaefer EA and Pratt DS. Autoimmune hepatitis: current challenges in diagnosis and management in a chronic progressive liver disease. Curr Opin Rheumatol 2012.
- Schaefer EA and Chung RT. HCV and Host Lipids, an intimate connection. Semin Liver Dis, 2013.
- Schaefer EA and Chung RT. Virology and Immunology of Hepatitis Viruses. Clinical Care Options Hepatology 2012.
- Schaefer EA and Dienstag J. Viral Hepatitis. ACP Internal Medicine.
- Schaefer EA and Chung RT. Development of HCV Drugs. Viral Hepatitis.
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
Mass General/North Shore Center for Outpatient Care
102 Endicott Street
Danvers, MA 01923-3623
Gastroenterology Assoc/Digestive Health Center
165 Cambridge Street
Boston, MA 02114
Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary
243 Charles Street
Boston, MA 02114 - 3002
Call the Massachusetts General Hospital physician referral service at 800-711-4644.
Mass General accepts most health insurance plans. Find out what you need to know before coming to Mass General.
Driving to Mass General? Get driving directions or locate a parking lot on the hospital's main campus.