- Centers & Specialties
- Clinical Interests
- Dermatology (general)
- Multi-Ethnic Skin
- Skin of color
- Vitiligo and pigmentary disorders
- Tanning/ultraviolet radiation
- Technological innovations in medicine
- Patient advocacy
- Public health and community medicine
- Medical Education
- MPH, Harvard School of Public Health
- MD, UT Southwestern Medical School
- Residency, UT Southwestern Medical Center
- Board Certifications
- Foreign Languages
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Chelsea: MGH Chelsea HealthCare Center
- Revere: MGH Revere HealthCare Center
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
- Adult and Pediatric
Dr. Kourosh is a board certified dermatologist and Assistant Professor of Dermatology at Harvard Medical School. She graduated from the University of Virginia with numerous honors and the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, receiving the institution's Excellence Award in Dermatology. She completed her internship in Internal Medicine at Tulane Medical Center, and dermatology residency at UT Southwestern Medical Center, where she received awards for Leadership in the specialty of Dermatology and for Outstanding Professionalism and Humanism as a physician.
Dr. Kourosh is committed to patient advocacy and solving public health problems for patients with skin disease. She developed the Skin Advocate iPhone App, a free iPhone application that connects patients with patient advocacy organizations for their skin conditions. She has published and been recognized in many publications, including the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology (JAAD), JAMA Dermatology, Dermatologic Clinics, and Dermatology World Magazine. She serves as Editor-in-Chief of Dialogues in Dermatology, an AAD sponsored international educational series for physicians.
Dr. Kourosh serves as the Dermatology Department's Director of Community Health and staff dermatologist at MGH and the MGH Health Centers in Chelsea and Revere, increasing access to dermatologic care for underserved communities in the Boston area. She also advocates for patients at the national level as the State Advocacy Leader for Massachusetts in the AAD's delegation to Congress to protect medical research and affordable care for patients with skin disease.
- Research Summary
Development and application of technologies and innovative methods to promote patient advocacy and solve problems in healthcare.
Dr. Kourosh developed the Skin Advocate iPhone App, a free application that connects patients with skin disease with appropriate patient advocacy resources and support for their conditions.
She is currently working on innovations involving novel telemedicine platforms to increase access to care.
Dr. Kourosh also founded and directs Project Phoenix, a pro bono tattoo removal program for patients in need of assistance with job acquisition and social reintegration, and conducts research around tattoos as a social determinant of health.
- Improving Patient Advocacy Groups Through Smartphones: A Needs Assessment. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. Vol 69, Issue 3, p 493-494, September 2013.
- Bridging Dermatologists with Patient Advocacy Groups Through Smartphones. JAMA Dermatology 2013.
- Pathogenesis of Mucous Membrane Pemphigoid. Dermatol Clin. 2011 Jul; 29(3):479-84.
- Therapeutic Approaches to Patients with Mucous Membrane Pemphigoid. Dermatol Clin. 2011 Oct;29(4):637-41.
- Activation of the mesostriatal reward pathway with exposure to ultraviolet radiation (UVR) vs. sham UVR in frequent tanners. Addiction Biology 17: 68P686.
- Tanning as a behavioral addiction. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 36(5):284-90 (May 2010)
- Hooked on Tanning: Why You Shouldn't Start. The Skin Cancer Foundation Journal. Vol 30. 2012.
- Photosensitive Disorders in HIV. Cockerell and Calame: Cutaneous manifestations of HIV infection. Copyright 2010. Manson Publishing, 73 Corringham Road, London, NW11 7DL, UK.
- Leprosy of Lucio and Latap? with extremity livedoid vascular changes. International Journal of Dermatology 2013;52(10):1245-7Psoriasis as the Marker of Underlying Systemic Disease. Skin Therapy Letter. 2008 Feb; 13(1):1-5.
- Patient Advocacy in the Technological Age. Journal of the Dermatology Nurses Association. July/August 2013 - Volume 5 - Issue 4, pp: 187-237. Dermatologists and Social Media, Editorial & Commentary for June 2013 Dialogues in Dermatology.
- A Girl With Cerebriform Palmar Plaques. Consultant For Pediatricians. 2013;12(7):317-318.
- Aspects of Beauty. Editorial & Commentary for Nov 2013 Dialogues in Dermatology.
Browse the latest local and national news articles featuring stories from basic research to innovative breakthroughs in cosmetic dermatology.
"Somehow along the way I figured out that by giving back I was not only doing something good, but I learned that when the community works together, the community works; everything that you give comes right back to you,” said Magaly Valentin, MGH Human Resources business partner.
Arianne Shadi Kourosh, MD, of the MGH Department of Dermatology travels every year to Washington, D.C. to meet with members of Congress about issues affecting patient care. This year, she was accompanied by Daniel Sugai, MD, MGH’s first recipient of the AADA resident scholarship.
50 Staniford Street
Boston, MA 02114-2517
151 Everett Avenue
Chelsea, MA 02150-1807
300 Ocean Avenue
Revere, MA 02151-3675