Arturo P. Saavedra, MD, PhD, MBA is the Vice Chairman for Clinical Affairs and Director of Medical Dermatology for the Department of Dermatology at Massachusetts General Hospital. He is an Associate Professor of Dermatology at the Harvard Medical School and is an attending physician at both MGH Dermatology and at the MGH Cancer Center. He is an expert in dermatological treatment of diseases associated with bone marrow transplantation and severe drug reactions.
- Centers & Specialties
- Clinical Interests
- Graft-versus-host disease
- Toxic epidermal necrolysis
- Pemphigus and pemphigoid
- Fibrotic disorders of the skin
- Infectious diseases in dermatology
- HIV dermatology
- Medical Education
- MBA, Babson College
- MD, PhD, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
- Residency, Brigham and Women's Hospital|Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
- Board Certifications
- Internal Medicine
- Foreign Languages
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
Art Saavedra, MD, PhD, MBA is the Vice Chairman for Clinical Affairs and Director of Medical Dermatology for the Department of Dermatology at Massachusetts General Hospital. He is an Associate Professor of Dermatology at the Harvard Medical School and attends at the MGH Cancer Center.
Dr. Saavedra received a combined doctoral and medical degree from the University of Pennsylvania, with specialized training in Pharmacology, after graduating Magna Cum Laude from Harvard College with a degree in Biological Sciences. He completed residency training in Internal Medicine at the Brigham and Women's Hospital, where he also served as Chief Resident. He is a graduate of the Harvard Combined Dermatology Residency Training Program and a fellowship trained Dermatopathologist.
Because of his combined training, he specializes in the diagnosis and care of complex medical dermatology with particular attention to advanced therapeutics and the development of novel treatment algorithms for poorly understood skin disorders. He has been a primary author in publications establishing the use of systemic and intravenous chemotherapeutic and immunomodulatory agents for the use of infectious, inflammatory and neoplastic disorders of skin. He has also published primary articles on the maximal use of skin pathologic examination as it relates to the diagnosis and prognostication of potentially deadly disorders such as Graft-versus-host disease, HIV and severe drug reactions such as toxic epidermal necrolysis. He is also an editor on Fitzpatrick's Color Atlas and Synopsis of Clinical Dermatology, one of the most widely read textbooks in Dermatology. He has received several research grants as well as teaching awards, locally and abroad.
View my recent publications at Pub Med
The MAO Award program supports research, education and clinical innovation, along with community and global health projects of faculty underrepresented in medicine.
In honor of Skin Cancer Awareness Month, Arturo Saavedra, MD, PhD, MBA, the new medical director for MGH Medical Dermatology, discusses the best way to keep safe from the sun’s rays.
50 Staniford Street
Boston, MA 02114-2517
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
2 Wells Avenue
Newton, MA 02459-3208