The Fellowship in Geriatric Medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital is a one-year ACGME approved Fellowship focusing on the care of patients ages 65 and older across the continuum of health care settings. Fellows learn the principles of geriatric medicine by providing care and counsel to patients and families in ambulatory, acute, sub- acute and home settings. They will also learn Palliative Care during their inpatient Palliative Care rotation. Fellows will become skillful at collaborative care by working in an interdisciplinary team of nurse practitioners, geriatric psychiatrists, geriatric social workers, and geriatric case managers. In addition Fellows will engage in learning activities through Core Didactic Conferences, Case Conferences, Journal Club and Research Conferences and develop teaching and leadership skills through one-on-one mentorship, consulting resources and teaching patients, families, medical residents and students.
Requirements for the Geriatric Medicine Fellowship include:
- Completion and passing of all three USLME steps
- ABIM board certified or board eligible
- The accepted applicant must obtain a full Massachusetts license (limited license if on visa)
- A valid ECFMG certificate for all foreign medical graduates
- Only J1 visas accepted
- Capacity for leadership in the field
- We do not accept Family Medicine trained applicants and those who have not completed a 3 Year Residency in the US
In addition to clinical experience, 8 hours/month are devoted to didactic curriculum. Curriculum consists of 4 core conferences, 2 case conferences, 1 journal club and 1 research conference per month.
The Fellow will learn expert care of older patients accross the continuum of care supervised by Mass General Geritric Medicine faculty. Rotations include acute care, rehabilitation and long term care and palliative care as well as outpatient continuity experiences through home visits and specialty care.
Note: The American Geriatric Society is pushing for ALL Geriatric Fellowships to go through the match for Ay 2015-16.
The Massachusetts General Hospital Fellowship Program in Geriatric Medicine will be processing applications through the Electronic Residency Application (ERAS) Fellowships system. We will offer two fellowship positions through the National Matching Program (NRMP) each year starting July 1.
Please submit the following application materials via ERAS portal by October 31st.
- ERAS application
- Personal Statement of interest
- A Curriculum Vitae
- Three letters of recommendation from professional superiors; at least one should be a supervisor of your pre- or post- doctoral training. Applicants should give professors or chiefs of service with whom they have come in personal contact. Please request each individual to send a letter of recommendation to the Fellowship Director: Dr. Fadi Ramadan.
- USMLE scores for steps 1,2, and 3- applicant must pass step 3 prior to beginning fellowship
- Valid ECFMG certificate (foreign medical graduates only)
Applications are processed and interviews are scheduled by the Education Coordinator, Gail Chin.
Geriatric Medicine Unit
165 Cambridge Street, 5th Floor
Charles River Plaza, CPZ 502
Boston, MA 02114