The program will provide intensive training in the diagnosis and treatment of these diseases, experience in a multidisciplinary approach to treatment planning and opportunities for collaborative clinical and basic research.
The fellowship is based at the Massachusetts General Hospital and includes rotations at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and the Brigham and Women’s Hospital. We are a Breast SPORE site. The clinical practice treats more than 2000 new breast cancers per year and accrual to clinical trials runs at more than 200 enrollments per month.
Candidates for the fellowship must be board-eligible graduates of a general surgery residency program.
Educational Objectives for Breast Surgery Fellow:
- Become familiar with diagnosis, decision-making and treatment of all stages of breast cancer and benign breast disease
- Become familiar with management of patients at increased risk for breast cancer, and understand genetic and other risk factors
- Refine breast surgery skills by working with breast surgeons in the operating room
- Gain familiarity with the principles and practices of other collaborating disciplines including breast imaging, medical oncology, pathology, and radiation oncology
- Participate in the design and conduct of clinical trials and clinical research
- Participate in national cooperative clinical trials group activities
- Participate in the organization and conduct of weekly educational conferences and resident education activities
- Increase expertise in presenting clinical and research data in formal and informal presentations
- Prepare a clinical research project for presentation and publication
Throughout the one-year fellowship, the fellow will spend time in:
- The operating room
- The Gillette Center for Breast Cancer in multidisciplinary sessions for newly diagnosed breast cancer patients
- Screening, diagnostic and follow-up office sessions.
- In the first part of the year, the fellow will spend time in collaborating specialties including medical oncology, radiation oncology, breast imaging, and breast pathology.
Interested applicants may contact:
Barbara L. Smith, MD, PhD
Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center
55 Fruit Street, Yawkey 9A
Boston, MA 02114