Clinicians at the Fatty Liver Clinic at Massachusetts General Hospital diagnose, treat and monitor patients with fatty liver disease.

Dan Pratt, MD and Kathleen Corey, MD, MPH  

Fatty Liver Clinic: Clinical Trials

The MGH Liver Clinic currently has several studies to monitor the progress of patients with fatty liver disease.

It remains unknown why some people develop fatty liver, and why some develop advanced disease while others do not. The Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease Repository follows patients every 6 months when they come for their regularly scheduled appointments and monitors their liver disease and response to treatment.

 

 

 

 

 

  

 

Ongoing clinical trials for non-alcoholic steatohepatitis: Actively recruiting


Condition:

Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease

Study title:

The Study of Biomarkers in Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease

Description of study:

To better understand why and how non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease develops, patients with fatty liver can choose to donate blood to allow for the study of relevant genes, environmental and lifestyle factors. Participation entails up to four 10 mL blood samples. Reimbursement for parking is provided.

Basic eligibility criteria:

Any patient with either abnormal liver function tests or fatty liver seen on ultrasound, CT scan or MRI is eligible.

Principal Investigator:

Kathleen Corey, MD, MPH

Contact:

Yuri Choi; 617-726-3670


Condition:

Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease

Study title:

CENTAUR - Efficacy and Safety Study of Cenicriviroc for the Treatment of Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH) in Adult Subjects with Liver Fibrosis

Description of study: We are doing this study to find out if cenicriviroc (CVC), a once daily oral drug, can help people with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) and liver fibrosis. Participants will require yearly biopsies and will be randomly assigned into 3 groups: active treatment for 2 years (50% chance), placebo then drug (25%), and placebo for 2 years (25%). Reimbursement for parking and transportation will be provided up to $50. (ClinicalTrials.gov ID: NCT02217475)

Basic eligibility criteria:

Any patient with either abnormal liver function tests or fatty liver seen on ultrasound, CT scan or MRI is eligible.

Principal Investigator:

Kathleen Corey, MD, MPH

Contact:

Jenna Gustafson; 617-726-3670


Condition:

Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease

Study title: Growth Hormone and Intrahepatic Lipid Content in Patients with Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
Description of study:

The purpose of this study is to better understand how the body’s natural growth hormone levels contribute to the development of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Participants in this study will undergo a CT scan, MRI scan and special blood testing. Compensation includes $300 for two visits as well as parking reimbursement.

Basic eligibility criteria:

Individuals with NAFLD ages 18-65 years old.

Principal Investigator:

Karen Miller, MD

Contact:

Ariana Riccio; 617-726-2764