The Thoracic Aortic Center was created to ensure convenience and ease of access. We see all patients quickly and emergent patients immediately. We try to coordinate all appointments for the same day, and whenever possible, any needed tests as well.
Referring to the Thoracic Aortic Center
Patients are referred to the Thoracic Aortic Center in a variety of ways. They may be referred by their physician, self-referred or transferred from another hospital or emergency department. Regardless of the point of entry, just one telephone call sets in motion our multidisciplinary team.
24-Hour Referrals, call 617-724-4747
It is not necessary for a patient to have a complete diagnosis when referred. We can make all the determinations and ensure that the patient sees the appropriate physicians easily and quickly. We report our findings to the referring physician after the initial visit.
Communication between referring physicians and the Thoracic Aortic Center team are very important to us. We maintain excellent contact with referring physicians, consulting with them whenever appropriate and providing timely updates about the progress of their patients. We work closely with referring physicians to determine what services might best be provided by us and what services patients may receive in their local community. If surgery is not indicated, we develop a treatment plan. Referring physicians may prefer to carry out this plan themselves or may choose to have us do so.
We keep track of patients longitudinally over time. People who have had a problem in one part of the aorta may develop problems in another part of the aorta in the future. As there may not be any symptoms associated with the next problem, we provide intensive follow-up, in collaboration with the patient’s primary physician, specifically to monitor the thoracic aorta.
Referring physicians can assure their patients that the hospital is committed to making the Mass General experience comfortable for patients, families and friends. Services offered include:
- Valet parking at the main entrances
- Discounted validated parking
- Multilingual signage throughout the facility
- Interpreter services for non-English speaking and hearing impaired patients
- An International Patient and Family Center offering translator services, assistance with accommodations, financial information and a wide range of guest services
- A comfortable, recently renovated and expanded surgical waiting area for patients' families
- An executive registry for individuals and the corporate community who travel and may need an international medical assistance program
Request an appointment for your patient with one of our world-class cardiac specialists.
View the Corrigan Minehan Heart Center’s latest awards for outstanding patient care and groundbreaking research.