The laboratory of Dr. Xiong focuses on structure-function relationship of biologically important macromolecules using protein crystallography combined with other biophysical approaches.
Jian-Ping Xiong, PhD
Assistant Professor of Medicine
149 13th Street
Charlestown, MA 02129
Phone: (617) 726-5670
Fax: (617) 726-5669
The laboratory of Dr. Xiong focuses on structure-function relationship of biologically important macromolecules using protein crystallography combined with other biophysical approaches, including:
1) Structure-based activation mechanism of adhesion molecule integrin
The most striking feature of integrin compared to other adhesion molecules is that activation is required to bind ligands by signals within and/or outside the cells. Considerable insights into this activation mechanism have been obtained since the first structural elucidation of ectodomain of integrin aVb3 from our lab, several critical questions, however, still remain unanswered. Is the conformational change just ligand-induced or prerequisite for ligand binding? What triggers the large conformational changes? We are trying to answer these questions by working on integrin aVb3.
2) a4 integrin in multiple sclerosis
a Integrins play crucial roles in the pathogenesis of multiple sclerosis, and its inhibition has shown approved clinical benefits. The beneficiary effects, however, are associated with highly concerned drawbacks such as fatal virus infections. Structural elucidation of this family integrin will provide the much needed three-dimensional models at atomic resolution for better drug design to treat this chronic and devastating ailment.
- Xiong JP, Mahalingham B, Alonso JL, Borrelli LA, Rui X, Anand S, Hyman BT, Rysiok T, Müller-Pompalla D, Goodman SL, Arnaout MA. Crystal structure of the complete integrin alphaVbeta3 ectodomain plus an alpha/beta transmembrane fragment. J Cell Biol. 2009 Aug 24. 186(4):589-600.
- Xiong JP, Stehle T, Goodman SL, and Arnaout MA. A novel adaptation of the integrin PSI domain revealed from its crystal structure. J Biol Chem. 2004 Sep 24. 279(39): 40252 - 40254.
- Xiong JP, Stehle T, Zhang R, Joachimiak A, Frech M, Goodman SL, and Arnaout MA. Crystal structure of the extracellular segment of integrin alpha Vbeta3 in complex with an Arg-Gly-Asp ligand. Science. 2002 Apr 5. 296(5565): 151-5. Epub 2002 Mar 07.
- Xiong JP, Stehle T, Diefenbach B, Zhang R, Dunker R, Scott DL, Joachimiak A, Goodman SL, and Arnaout MA. Crystal structure of the extracellular segment of integrin alpha Vbeta 3. Science. 2001 Oct 12. 294(5541): 339-345. Epub 2001 Sep 06.