The Massachusetts General Hospital Department of Neurology provides comprehensive consultative services, diagnostic testing and treatment for a broad spectrum of neurological conditions, including diseases of the brain, spinal cord, peripheral nerves and muscles.
Merit Cudkowicz, MD, MSc
Julianne Dorn Professor of
Neurology, Harvard Medical
Our department consists of more than 230 physicians and scientists, many of whom have gained national and international recognition for their clinical and/or research efforts. We are united by a common purpose: finding new treatments and cures that will reduce and ultimately eliminate the devastating impact of neurological disorders.
Among the First and the Best
Since 1872 our department has helped map out the intricacies of the brain and nervous system and shaped what neurology care is today. Among our major milestones:
- Developing the first functional MRI machine
- Discovering numerous genes that contribute to neurological diseases
We consistently place among the top four neurology departments in the United States, according to U.S. News and World Report.
Standard-Setting Research and Care
Mass General hosts one of the nation's largest hospital-based neuroscience research programs, and our department's investigators and clinicians have pioneered a number of research breakthroughs. We focus on all phases of the discovery continuum, including:
- Basic research in the genetic and biochemical basis of brain function
- Translational studies linking lab findings with potential drug therapies
- Clinical trials testing the safety and effectiveness of new treatments
Many of our physicians bridge the gap between the clinic and laboratory, actively investigating potential solutions to problems observed while caring for patients. This integration of the staff's patient care and research interests hastens the development of better ways to treat and prevent neurological disorders.
The quality of our patient care is also enhanced by:
- Breadth of staff expertise: Our physicians and other medical professionals span a remarkably wide range of subspecialties and disciplines.
- Emphasis on teaching: Our training programs serve as a talent incubator for rising stars in the field, which helps broaden our staff and produces fresh perspectives in treating patients.
- Commitment to cutting-edge technology: For example, our brain imaging capabilities are considered among the best in the world.
- Collaboration with internationally renowned specialists: Our physicians work closely with specialists in other highly ranked departments at Mass General, including neurosurgery, psychiatry, cancer and rehabilitation.