Originating as the Vincent Memorial Hospital, now the fundraising component of the service, the Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology at Massachusetts General Hospital earned its reputation as an international leader in women's health by:
- Furthering the discipline and sharing our research discoveries worldwide to improve clinical outcomes
- Expanding knowledge of women's health through basic and clinical research, educating patients and training young clinicians and scientists
- Providing one standard of care to all women regardless of financial circumstances
Two Decades of Progress
Isaac Schiff, MD, the chief of our department since 1988, has made women's health care his life's work. His earliest studies into the menopausal process resulted in therapies that are still routinely used.
Under Dr. Schiff's leadership, the Mass General Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology has grown into the third-largest admitting service at Mass General with a faculty of more than fifty. Our clinical and research team is a leader in advancing such health concerns as gynecologic oncology (including cancers of the ovary, cervix and endometrium), menopause, high-risk obstetrics, infertility and reproductive medicine and urogynecology. U.S. News & World Report consistently ranks our service in the top 1 percent of the nation.
The Full Spectrum of Patient Care
Patient care available through the Mass General Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology includes:
- Gynecology and reproductive medicine: We offer women advanced care for the full range of gynecologic health issues, including prepregnancy genetic counseling, contraceptive management and treatments related to more complex and chronic issues
- Fertility: We provide a wide range of assisted reproductive technologies – including in vitro fertilization, single-embryo transfer, pre-implantation genetic diagnosis, male infertility factors and egg, sperm and embryo cryopreservation – and consistently achieve excellent outcomes, delivering results that are among the highest in the nation
- Obstetrics and high-risk obstetrics: Our team works in partnership with each woman to meet her needs and preferences from early pregnancy through birth. For patients with preexisting conditions or who develop complications, our maternal-fetal medicine specialists consult on your care
- Ultrasound & Prenatal Diagnostic Center: We seek to identify structural defects, genetic syndromes and chromosomal disorders early in pregnancy and offer early risk assessment in the late first trimester, which does not use amniocentesis
- Urogynecology and pelvic reconstruction: We provide comprehensive diagnostic testing and treatment for problems caused by changes in the pelvic floor – including urinary incontinence – using the most advanced nonsurgical and surgical options
- Gynecologic oncology: Our multidisciplinary team works with each patient to develop an individualized treatment strategy for a variety of gynecologic cancers
- Minimally invasive gynecologic surgery: We perform sophisticated procedures that require smaller incisions, produce barely visible scars and promote shorter recovery time and fewer complications than traditional surgery