Ebru Oral, Ph.D.
Dr. Oral joined the Harris Orthopaedic Laboratory in 2003 as post-doctoral fellow and has been faculty since 2005. Since 2013, she is an Assistant Professor. Her research interests and expertise revolve around the design, formulation and testing of polymeric materials to address orthopaedic problems, especially joint degradation.
She is actively involved in initiating and developing polymeric formulations with improved properties for joint arthroplasty addressing problems such as wear/osteolysis, fixation, dislocation and infection. The polymer development program she leads also serves as an orthopaedic biomaterials training experience for medical students, pre-doctoral and post-doctoral graduate students.
Her post-doctoral work on the first antioxidant stabilized cross-linked UHMWPE received the HAP Paul Award of the International Society for Technology in Arthroplasty in 2006 and she received this recognition again in 2011 for work on methods to improve the oxidative stability of antioxidant containing joint implants. She was named the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons/National Institutes of Health Young Investigator on Wear and Osteolysis in 2007. She was also the recipient of the Claflin Distinguished Scholar Award of the MGH in 2011.
She is a member of the Orthopaedic Research Society (2004), American Institute of Chemical Engineers (2001), American Chemical Society (2001), Materials Research Society, Biomedical Engineering Society (2008) and a lifetime honorary member of the International Society for Technology in Arthroplasty (2013).
PhD 2003 Chemical Engineering, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN
BS 1997 Chemical Engineering, Boğaziçi University, Istanbul, Turkey
- Oral E*, Neils AL, Rowell SL, Lozynsky AJ, Muratoglu OK. Increasing irradiation temperature maximizes vitamin E grafting and wear resistance of UHMWPE. J Biomed Mater Res 101B(3): 436-440 (2013).
- Oral E*, Neils AL, Wannomae KK, Muratoglu OK. Novel active stabilization technology in highly cross-linked UHMWPEs for superior stability. Rad Phys Chem 105: 6-11 (2014).
- Oral, E*, Doshi BN, Godleski-Beckos CM, Muratoglu OK. High pressure crystallization of vitamin E-containing, highly cross-linked UHMWPE. Macromol Mater Eng 300: 458-465 (2015).
- Oral E*, Neils AL, Doshi BN, Fu J, Muratoglu OK. The effects of oxidation on the in vitro wear and mechanical properties of irradiated and melted highly cross-linked UHMWPE. J Biomed Mater Res (Available online).
- Chemically Cross-linked UHMWPE Containing Vitamin E. Annual Meeting of the International Society for Technology in Arthroplasty, Vienna, Austria; September 30-October 3, 2015.
- A wear and highly oxidation resistant chemically cross-linked UHMWPE with improved toughness. 7th International UHMWPE Meeting, Philadelphia, PA; October 22-23, 2015.
- Antibacterial approaches for medical devices. 45th Annual Meeting of the American Association for Dental Research, Los Angeles, LA; March 16-19, 2016.