Alex Petruska, PT, SCS, LAT
Senior Sports Physical Therapist and Athletic Trainer
Sports Physical Therapy Service
Tel: (617) 643-9999
Fax: (617) 643-0822
Alex Petruska graduated from the Boston University Sargent College of Allied Health Professions with a Bachelor of Science, summa cum laude, and Physical Therapy Certificate in 1976. He was licensed as a Physical Therapist in 1976 and licensed as an Athletic Trainer in 1983 in the state of Massachusetts.
Alex attained Board Certification, as a Clinical Specialist in Sports Physical Therapy by the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties in 1987. At that time, he was the first Sports Clinical Specialist in New England and one of the first 24 Clinical Specialists, in all specialty areas, in the United States. Alex attained re-certification in 1999, and again in 2009. He was certified as Athletic Trainer, by the National Athletic Trainers Association in 1985 and held that certification until 1995. Additionally, in 1985, Alex was certified as Strength and Conditioning Specialist by the National Strength and Conditioning Association and was one of the first 125 persons ever-certified by this organization. Alex held that certification until 1995. In 1988, he was certified as Level I Weight Lifting Coach by the United States Weight Lifting Federation.
Alex has held a number of teaching and training positions throughout his career, including:
- Instructor in the Orthopedic and Sports Program at the Massachusetts General Hospital Institute of Health Professions (1989-1992)
- Instructor in the Physical Therapist Assistant program at North Shore Community College (1981-1982)
- Clinical Associate of Physical Therapy for the Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences at Boston University (1985-2001)
- Athletic trainer for the Middleboro Cobras Football Team of the Eastern Football League in (1983-1984)
- Athletic trainer for the South Boston Chippewas Football Team of the Boston Park League from (1977-1982)
- Director of Physical Therapy at Sports Medicine Brookline in Brookline (1985-88) and the Sports Medicine Center in Wareham, MA (1982-1985)
Alex has co-authored scientific articles in the American Journal of Sports Medicine, Journal of Hand Surgery and The Harvard Orthopedic Journal.
Alex served as Physical Therapist, Athletic Trainer and Rehabilitation Coordinator for the Sports Medicine Service at Mass General from 1999 to 2007. In that role he was responsible for the production and implementation of specific post-operative rehabilitation protocols and patient information publications, which laid the foundation for the current Sports Physical Therapy practice at Mass General. Alex continues to practice at the Sports Medicine Center as Senior Physical Therapist and Athletic Trainer. He has more 34 years of clinical experience and practice of physical therapy and specializes in knee and shoulder rehabilitation, as well as sports conditioning program development.