As a Level I Trauma Center, our doctors specialize in emergency orthopaedic care and post-traumatic reconstructive surgery for patients injured in motor vehicle collisions, industrial accidents and falls.
- Call us at 617-726-9111
- Download our Patient Guide
- Mark Vrahas, MD
Chief, Partners Orthopaedic Trauma
- Malcolm Smith, MD
Chief, MGH Orthopaedic Trauma
- Marilyn Heng, MD
- Kevin Luttrell, MD
- Jesse Jupiter, MD
- David Lhowe, MD
- Esteban Franco-Garcia, MD
- David Ring, MD, PhD
What to Expect
Patient care often begins in Mass General's Emergency Room. Here our staff works with a team of nurses, trauma coordinators and other specialists to direct the care of each patient.
After the trauma team has diagnosed and stabilized a patient's injuries, the patient may be admitted to the hospital. If orthopaedic surgery is required, one our our attending physicians will serve as the patient's surgeon. When this happens, the patient is brought to an operating room for repair of his or her injuries. Our attending physician and trauma nurses keep the patient's family regularly informed and involved in decision-making throughout the patient's stay. Patients who are seen, treated and released from our Emergency Department are encouraged to follow up with us in our Outpatient Trauma Clinic.
In our Outpatient Trauma Clinic, we also see patients with older injuries referred to us for treamtent and possible reconstructivon. We evaluate each patient, run any necessary tests and develop a personalized treatment plan for each patient. If surgery is required, the patient’s procedure is scheduled as soon as possible, based on the severity of his or her symptoms. Scheduling appointments for emergency and post-traumatic consultations at our outpatient clinic is easy.
Individualized, Comprehensive Care
In addition to our orthopaedic trauma professionals, our team collaborates with specialists from other clinical departments at Mass General, such as the Division of Trauma, Emergency Surgery and Surgical Critical Care. Our multidisciplinary approach ensures patients receive outstanding treatment for all their conditions. We provide compassionate care for the entire person — not just his or her injuries.
A registered nurse also helps patients and their families manage the next steps in their treatment, whether recovery takes place in the home or at a facility such as Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital.
To assist patients and their families, we offer a complete range of resources at Mass General for long-term care, including:
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Social services
- Follow-up appointments
- Psychiatric services
- Nutritional counseling
From fractures and joint dislocations to malunions and nonunions, our acclaimed clinical team treats the complete spectrum of musculoskeletal injuries. Performing a high volume of surgical procedures annually, our physicians have earned an international reputation for their advanced techniques in post-traumatic reconstruction. This combination of expertise and experience offers patients exceptional care from some of the most accomplished trauma specialists in the Northeast.
A World-Class Center for Emergency & Post-Traumatic Care
As a certified Level 1 Adult Trauma Center, we are prepared to treat severely injured patients around the clock in our Emergency Department. And while our surgeons are renowned for their expertise in fixing the most complex fractures, they also are recognized as leading specialists in treating the post-traumatic complications associated with these injuries. As a result, orthopaedic physicians throughout New England regularly refer patients to us with these complex conditions.
Our resources include:
- An emergency trauma team with vast experience in taking lifesaving measures, saving limbs and providing rapid diagnoses
- Advanced operating facilities reserved for patients who require immediate surgery
- Acute-care and intensive-care units for patients who have sustained multiple traumas or require close observation
- Comprehensive rehabilitation services, physical therapy, occupational therapy and other long-term care programs to assist patients throughout recovery
- Outpatient services for patient evaluation, diagnosis and treatment
Recognized Experts in Critical & Post-Traumatic Care
At Mass General, we've treated critically injured patients since 1811. Our team of orthopaedic trauma surgeons includes:
- Malcolm Smith, MD, Chief of the Orthopaedic Trauma Service, an internationally renowned specialist in fractures of the pelvis and tibia
- Mark Vrahas, MD, Partners Chief of Orthopaedic Trauma Service, known worldwide for his expertise in treating pelvic and acetabular fractures
- David Lhowe, MD, a highly skilled surgeon who treats fractures, nonunions and malunions, as well as various hip and knee conditions
Our team also includes surgical experts from Mass General’s Hand and Upper Extremity Service and Foot and Ankle Service. These orthopaedic specialists work together to treat patients with debilitating hand, wrist and elbow injuries and foot and ankle injuries. The staff includes:
Hand and Upper Extremity Service
- Jesse Jupiter, MD, one of the world’s leading experts in reconstructive surgery of the elbow and wrist
- David Ring, MD, PhD, an accomplished surgeon with vast experience in treating acute post-traumatic complications
Attention to the Specific Care of the Older Patient - GIFTS Program
The medical needs of older patients are different than those of their younger counterparts. Our team - Geriatric Inpatient Fracture Service (GIFTS) - features a clinical co-management program that harnesses the expertise of both orthopaedic surgeons and internal medicine physicians to ensure that older patients receive the care they need while in the hospital.
The Orthopaedic Trauma Service at Massachusetts General Hospital provides emergency orthopaedic care and post-traumatic reconstructive surgery services to patients with traumatic injuries resulting from motor vehicle collisions, industrial accidents, falls and any other mechanism of injury.
In addition to treating traumatic orthopaedic injuries, our surgeons have subspecialty interests and training in surgical issues of the spine, arthritic conditions of the hip and avascular necrosis of the hip.
As a guide we offer treatment for patients with the following conditions:
- Open and closed fractures of the upper and lower extremities to include the shoulder, clavicle, scapula, humerus, elbow, radius and ulna and some fractures of the wrist. Fractures of the pelvis and acetabulum, hip, femur, knee, tibia, fibula, ankle and foot
- Fractures of the spine and specific conditions of the spine requiring surgical intervention
- Osteoarthritis or Avascular necrosis of the hip
- Large tendon ruptures and tears or muscle injuries
- Patients with mal-union or non-union of fractures
- Patients with bone infections or complications due to painful hardware/implants
- Pediatric patients with injuries or any of these complications are also seen by the Orthopaedic Trauma Service
In the hours and days following the Haiti earthquake, Mass General has mobilized to offer assistance to those affected by disaster -- both the victims in Haiti and their family members and friends in the Mass General community who are struggling to cope with the ordeal.
MGH Hotline 4.12.10 When he saw the tragic events unfold in Haiti, MGH Urology resident Audley Osbourne, MD, could not simply witness the devastation without doing something to help.
Running a marathon was Alfred Buccilli's dream growing up in Revere, Mass.
Two MGH departments have joined together to redesign the way care is offered to senior patients with bone fractures.
David R. King, MD, director of the Knight Surgical Research Lab at Mass General, is part of a team investigating the use of a biofoam to assist wounded soldiers.
A presentation featuring George Velmahos, MD, Chief of Mass General's Division of Trauma, Emergency Surgery & Surgical Critical Care
Orthopaedic Trauma Service
Mark Vrahas, MD
R. Malcolm Smith, MD
Marilyn Heng, MD
David Lhowe, MD
Kevin Luttrell, MD
Hand & Upper Extremity Surgeons on Trauma Team
Jesse Jupiter, MD
David Ring, MD
Esteban Franco-Garcia, MD
Kathleen Burns, ACNP
Ben Hollingsworth, ACNP
- Call us at 617-726-9111
- Download our Patient Guide