To deliver the highest quality pathology services and to move the field of pathology forward.
- We will be a comprehensive, academic pathology department that functions as a team to deliver subspecialty clinical care and research.
- We will utilize effective, efficient and innovative approaches and build departmental competencies to meet patient, institutional, and societal needs.
- We will take advantage of opportunities to advance the science and practice of pathology through individual and collaborative research.
- We will train leaders in pathology practice and research, and other physicians and laboratory professionals to enhance their understanding of pathology and laboratory medicine.
- We will create a workplace that will facilitate the recruitment, retention and development of the highest quality personnel.
- Pathologists are specialist physicians and laboratorians who participate in patient care through the evaluation and consultation on patient specimens, the management of laboratories and blood related therapies.
- Pathologists are in a prime position to lead and guide research on human disease. Promotion of research in pathology and laboratory medicine is essential for improvement of patient care and the well being of society.
- Training of outstanding residents, fellows and medical students is vital to our future success.
- We advocate training by active learning and progressive responsibility.
- All employees should enjoy a safe, high quality collaborative work environment with opportunities for advancement and professional growth, which we will promote.
- Timeliness in reporting is essential for clinical decision-making, but it must be balanced by the needs for accuracy and teaching.
- Resources and workload should be allocated equitably.
- We place high value on effective communication within our department and with our colleagues and their patients. Our clinical service will be shaped by this dialog with the other clinical services in the hospital.
- We will maintain the high standards of ethical practice established by the leaders of the MGH and MGPO.
- We will monitor departmental performance, promote continuous improvement and advocate for resources using outcomes-based evidence.