MGH originated the concept of surgical pathology subspecialization. In 1996 we became the first fully subspecialized academic pathology department in the world.
Anatomic & Molecular Pathology
- Autopsy Service
- Cytogenetics Laboratory
- Cytopathology Laboratory & Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy Service
- CID - Center for Integrated Diagnostics (Diagnostic DNA Testing)
Laboratory & Molecular Medicine
- Blood Transfusion Service
- Core Laboratory: Chemistry, Hematology, Acute Care
- Diabetes Laboratory
- Histocompatibility Laboratory
- Immunology Laboratory
- Microbiology Laboratory
- Point of Care Testing
Health Center Laboratories
Surgical Pathology Overview
The Division of surgical pathology is the largest division of the department. Led by Vânia Nosé, MD, the Unit is staffed by over 40 surgical pathologists. On average, each year, over 40 residents and fellows are trained within the division. In terms of clinical services, Surgical pathology has been divided into subspecialties.
The concept of complete subspecialization and the absence of a "general" diagnostic pathology service has been developed to:
- Provide the most accurate diagnoses, enhance communications with subspecialized clinical services and maximize our clinical efficiency
- Optimize teaching of residents and fellows, many of whom will become leaders in the US and worldwide.
- Promote faculty research efforts in subspecialty areas that foster an environment in which clinical, translational, and basic research can be successfully performed
The staff members of the Division participate fully in the teaching programs of the hospital and medical school. An active clinical research program is distributed among the members of the Unit.
The Surgical Pathology subspecialties are listed to the right. Each of these forms a working group led by a senior pathologist. Each subspecialty also has a research component, and provides a framework for collaboration and academic pursuits. For a list of all faculty members in all subspecialties please refer to our Faculty by Service page.
Surgical Pathology Subspecialties
- Bone and Soft Tissue Pathology
- Breast Pathology
- Cardiovascular Pathology
- ENT (Head and Neck)
- Gastrointestinal Pathology
- Genitourinary Pathology
- Gynecologic Pathology
- Obstetric and Perinatal Pathology
- Pulmonary Pathology
- Renal Pathology
Advanced Diagnostic Modalities