Join the PNGU team
Job Title: Research Technician II
Location: MGH Main Campus - Boston
Std Hrs/Wk: 40.00
Full/Part Time: Full-time
Regular/Temporary: RegularJob Description
The Psychiatric & Neurodevelopmental Genetics Unit Core Laboratory at MGH seeks a research technician to work with investigators and other laboratory staff to perform laboratory-based research aimed at identifying genetic variants involved in psychiatric disorders and associated neurocognitive impairments.
The PNGU Core lab provides custom genotyping (SNP, other), qPCR for CNV detection/confirmation, DNA extraction, quantification, sample preparation, tracking, and storage, and related services to further the PNGU mission of identifying and characterizing the genetic basis of complex disorders and to translate these discoveries to improvements in clinical care and public health. We are seeking a highly motivated individual to join our team of talented and intellectually diverse researchers and engineers in a collaborative research environment.
Start date of this position is the Spring or Summer of 2014.
Conduct small projects at the bench level, as well as in a high-throughput production setting using a variety of techniques and methodologies
Perform standard molecular biological techniques, including PCR, DNA extraction, genotyping and qPCR
Run quality control assays and other sample preparation techniques on samples in preparation of downstream genetic analysis.
Analyze experimental findings using statistical methods, database queries, and other tools.
Contribute to troubleshooting experiments and developing new laboratory processes and technologies.
Document, compile, and assist with analyzing and interpreting experimental data.
Attend and participate in lab meetings, including preparing reports and presenting progress.
Assist in preparation of manuscripts, poster presentations, and project reports.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, or Biochemistry, or related field required
- Proficiency in molecular and cell biology techniques and previous experience with PCR, genotyping, and/or DNA extraction a plus.
- Ability to handle a variety of tasks amid shifting priorities.
- Strong analytical skills with a high degree of initiative.
- Creative and highly motivated individual with strong organizational and management skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task in a dynamic multi-disciplinary research environment.
- A Two year commitment is required.
Interested candidates should email their CV and cover letter to: Felecia Cerrato email@example.com
Lab website: http://www.massgeneral.org/psychiatry/research/pngu_home.aspx
Return to the top of the page