The ChAMP clinic provides outpatient consult-liaison services that supplement the inpatient care of the Child CL service.
In addition to consultation provided to Mass General’s inpatient pediatric medical and surgical units, the MGH Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Consult-Liaison Service provides outpatient psychiatric consultation to children with co-morbid medical and known or suspected psychiatric symptoms through The Child and Adolescent Medical-Psychiatry (ChAMP) Clinic.
Common reasons for presentation to the ChAMP Clinic include:
- Rapid post-discharge follow-up for patients seen by the inpatient Consult-Liaison Service
- Depression, anxiety or difficulty coping related to symptoms or treatment of medical illness
- Suspected psychosomatic illness or psychological contributors to medical symptoms
- Suspected psychiatric issues interfering with adherence to medical treatment
- Illnesses such as fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue that have both psychological and physical manifestations
The ChAMP clinic follows a consultative model, providing diagnostic evaluation, treatment recommendations and, when indicated, stabilization and short-term care. For patients who have long-term treatment needs, referrals are provided to the appropriate mental health providers.