Mass General Hospital's Eating Disorders Clinical and Research Program: Steps for making an initial appointment for a treatment evaluation
Eating Disorders ProgramHome page
Learn about our program
Frequently asked questions about eating disorders.
Steps for making an initial appointment for a treatment evaluation:
(1) Call 617-724-7792 and request an appointment for an eating disorder.
(2) Have the name and telephone number of your MGH primary care doctor ready to give the triage staff. If you do not have an MGH primary care doctor, please see instructions below for scheduling a consultation.
(3) Be prepared for a short screening interview to gather clinical information.
(4) If you have received treatment for an eating disorder within the past 6 months, you will be asked to arrange for members of this treatment team to communicate with a program clinician prior to scheduling an appointment. Triage staff will give you instructions to convey to your clinician. Please download, fill in, and sign a health information release form to send to your clinician.
(5) Please inform triage staff of any special requests that relate to therapeutic preferences or insurmountable scheduling constraints.
(6) Have your health insurance information ready so pre-authorization requirements can be met.
(7) Please download, fill in, and sign health information for each of your clinicians who practices outside of the MGH system and bring them to your first appointment.Steps for making an appointment for a consultation:
(1) Call 617-724-7792 and request to begin the process for scheduling an eating disorder consultation. You will obtain instructions to relay to the referring clinician for whom they should contact to convey clinical information and formulate the questions that the consultation should address.
(2) Contact the referring member of your clinical team (e.g., therapist or primary care doctor) and give them instructions for making the referral.
(4) After your doctor or therapist has spoken with a member of the eating disorders team, you will be called back so the consultation process can proceed.
(5) Register as a patient at Mass. General Hospital by calling the following toll-free number: (866) 211-6588.
(6) Please bring signed health information release forms for all of your clinicians to your first appointment.
Getting to your appointment:
(1) You will register for your appointment with the receptionist in room 815 on the 8th Floor of the Wang Ambulatory Care Center.
(2) We recommend that you plan to arrive at your appointment 10 minutes in advance of the appointment time. Barring an unforeseen emergency or delay, your doctor will meet with you on time. Traffic and parking areas can become congested in the vicinity of MGH at certain times of the day. We recommend that you plan accordingly.
(3) Please call 617-726-3483 if you will not be able to make it to your appointment on time. We ask that you notify your clinician 24 hours in advance if you need to cancel your appointment.
(4) Your privacy and comfort are important to us. In most cases, you will meet with your clinician in suite 816. The waiting room is small and relatively private. This suite is unmarked except for the names of the doctors who see patients there. For the comfort of patients and clinicians in this area, please turn off your cell phone when you enter this area. There are 2 cafeterias and 2 additional cafes that are open to patients and those accompanying them.