The Division of Psychiatry & Medicine integrates specialized psychiatry and medical services while maintaining their diverse characters and strengths.
Our research portfolio includes:
- The impact of mood disorders on cardiac health
- The potential benefits of psychostimulant medication as a substitute for patients undergoing anti-androgen treatment for prostate cancer
- Pessimism and attributional styles in prostate cancer
- Psychosocial care in the context of genetic testing for cancer susceptibility
- Post-traumatic stress disorder in burn patients
- The study of stress in 1-4 year olds with burns
- The development of the child stress disorders checklist for use in burned children
- The use of morphine to protect against the emergence of PTSD in burn patients
- Post-traumatic stress disorder in rehabilitation patients facing amputation
- The relationship between cerebral vascular disease and depression in patients undergoing hemodialysis versus chronic ambulatory peritoneal dialysis, in collaboration with researchers in Japan
- The mental health sequelae of liver transplant donation, in collaboration with researchers in Japan
- The strategies parents dying from cancer, might use to reduce the suffering of their young children, through the surveying of young adults who experienced early parental loss
- Nitric oxide and the physiology of the placebo effect
- The use of depression screening by primary care doctors
- The effects of cognitive rehabilitation on regional brain function in traumatic brain injury
- The effects of motor training on regional brain function in stroke
- The utility of palmtop electronic devices for enhancing treatment compliance and outcome in brain injured patients
We respect that the family is the center of a child’s life and we welcome families to participate in every aspect of their child’s care.
When you support the Department of Psychiatry, you are making a significant contribution to advancing care at the hospital.