Trichotillomania Patient Care & Treatment: Learn about the most beneficial treatments for the disorder.
About our program
Patient Care and Treatment
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
In CBT, habit reversal training is considered the first-line intervention for TTM and skin picking. HRT is a multi-component treatment package that includes:
- self-monitoring of urges and behavior
- incompatible response training
- coping skills training, and
- relaxation techniques
Stimulus control procedures are also often used to treat TTM.
Hair pulling and skin picking has also been shown to respond to medication treatment.
- Serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SRIs, E.g., clomipramine, fluoxetine, sertraline) are in many cases effective in reducing hair pulling.
- Dopamine-blocking neuroleptics (e.g., risperidone, clozapine), which are the medications of choice in tics, seem to also be especially useful as an augmenting agent with SRIs.
- In addition, lithium and the opiate-antagonist naltrexone have also been reported to be helpful in the treatment of TTM and SP disorders.