Request an appointment:
Clark Center for Radiation Oncology: 617-726-8650
Francis H. Burr Proton Therapy Center: 617-726-0923
MGH Radiation Oncology at Newton Wellesley Hospital: 617-219-1200
MGH Radiation Oncology at Emerson Hospital: 978-287-3290
Mass General North Shore Cancer Center: 978-882-6060
Making an AppointmentAt MGH Radiation Oncology we have appointments available so we can schedule you quickly without lengthy wait times. To schedule a consultation at the Clark Center for Radiation Oncology, please call 617-726-8650. To schedule an appointment at the Francis H. Burr Proton Therapy Center, please call 617-726-0923. We do accept physician referrals, but a physician referral is not required to contact us and to schedule a consultation. If you need assistance selecting a doctor or making an appointment, call the Physician Referral Service at 800-711-4644.
Before making an appointment, new patients should contact the Mass General Registration and Referral Center at 866-211-6588 to receive a patient number and a Medical Record Number (MRN). Please have the following information available:
- Date of Birth
- Social security number
- Insurance information
- Emergency contact information
Health insurance coverage is a major concern for cancer patients and their families. Medical and financial eligibility need to be established prior to confirming an appointment. The Radiation Oncology staff will be happy to assist you in securing necessary insurance information to insure coverage for you or your child’s radiation treatments however; it is the patient’s responsibility to know and understand their plan.
Contact the Customer Service or Member Services Dept at your insurance company (the phone numbers are on your insurance card or in your benefits booklet) as to your specific benefits. They should be able to tell you about your in-network and out-of-network coverage and your specific Radiation Therapy benefits.
It is impossible for us to go into every detail of your plan. If needed, our staff will help you obtain your referral or authorization, but ultimately it is your responsibility to know and understand your insurance coverage. Please check with your insurance carrier regarding the specific “Radiation benefits” of your plan and any deductibles or benefit limits you may have. MGH patients have access to financial counselors who are committed to working with you, your physician, and your insurance company so that you can receive care at our hospital. These counselors are available to help verify your coverage, answer billing questions, and help address any concerns you may have.
For questions and/or concerns regarding insurance issues, please refer to the contact information listed below.
Patient Financial coordinator: 617-726-2192
Rad/Onc insurance questions: 617-726-8785
Proton insurance questions: 617-643-2575
International Patients: 617-726-2787
Preparing for Your Appointment
- Contact your health insurance provider to verify the specifics of your coverage.
- Make a list of the medications you currently take. Include all prescriptions, medications, vitamins, supplements and any over-the-counter medications that you take. Please write down the dose (strength) of each medicine, how often you take it and when you take it (for example: morning, lunch, evening). If you have copies of your prescriptions, bring those with you.
- Make sure you know the location of your appointment!
At the Appointment
- Be prepared to pay any insurance copayments and/or deductibles
- Bring the following information with you to help you fill out any necessary paperwork:
- Insurance card, including your policy number and/or Medicare or Medicaid card
- Your referral from your PCP if required
- Name, address and phone number of your referring or primary care physician
- Health care proxy form
- Any medical information requested by Mass General, such as radiology results and lab diagnostic test results (this is especially important if you are coming for a second opinion)