MGH Hotline 06.18.10 On the eve of the MGH bicentennial, one MGH department proudly celebrates its centennial.
MGH Urology celebrates 100 years
The Genito-Urinary Department’s Women’s Ward in the Bradlee Building, circa 1916
Today's MGH Urology staff
On the eve of the MGH bicentennial, one MGH department proudly celebrates its centennial. On June 10, the Department of Urology officially turned 100 years old. Though 1911 was the year the department received designated beds, 1910 was the year the MGH board of trustees voted to establish the Genito-Urinary Department within what was known as the Out Patient Department. It was renamed the Department of Urology in 1925.
To mark the centennial, MGH Urology faculty members gathered for an early morning photo at the steps of the Bulfinch Building, followed by a photo of the entire department -- including the support staff, nurses, operating room staff and physicians. Following the photos, the staff enjoyed a celebratory breakfast and later shared in the cutting of a birthday cake.
W. Scott McDougal, MD, chief of MGH Urology, reflected on the importance of the day. "The Department of Urology is proud to celebrate 100 years of service. Since our establishment, the department has been committed to the health and well-being of our patients, treating them with the latest technologies, many of which have been discovered here through our ongoing research activities. We look forward to what the next 100 years holds."
"MGH Urology certainly has a lot to celebrate," says Robert Seger, senior administrative director of Urology and the MGH History Program. "In 1910, there were only five attending surgeons along with one assistant surgeon. Today the department includes 13 physicians with more than 25 support staff members."
The centennial celebration also served as an opportunity to celebrate how far the department has come, as well as its rich history. For example, in the 1920s, the department helped establish the Stone Clinic to investigate the cause and prevention of kidney stones. Kidney stones may now be noninvasively treated with the use of a lithotripter, a device that destroys the stone with its shock waves. The MGH was one of the first hospitals in the United States to use this device in 1984.
Learn more about the MGH Department of Urology.