Support the Department of Radiation Oncology
When you support the Department of Radiation Oncology, you enable us to provide comprehensive, compassionate, coordinated care and to deliver safe, effective radiation treatments to our patients with cancer and benign tumors. With your help, we can ensure that patients around the world will continue to benefit from our cutting-edge research and commitment to training tomorrow’s radiation oncology professionals.
Ways to Give
There are a variety of ways to make a gift:
- Make a secure gift online using a credit card
- Give in honor or in memory of a family member, caregiver or friend
- Make a planned gift or bequest, or establish an endowed fund
- Leverage matching gifts from your workplace
- Host a special event
- Donate new toys or gift cards to Joy Toys
Gifts can be made online, over the phone or by check. Checks should be made payable to “MGH Department of Radiation Oncology.” If the gift is restricted (meaning for a specific project or physician) or in honor or memory of someone, please include this information on the memo line. Checks should be mailed to:
Attn: Sarah Christensen
MGH Development Office
165 Cambridge Street, Suite 600
Boston, MA 02114
Make an Impact
Your tax-deductible gift to the Department of Radiation Oncology will help to advance a number of programs and initiatives:
- We treat approximately 500 patients each day, but our patients are never a number. Your donation helps us fund programs that help patients better manage their lives and stress while fighting cancer. Funds support music and art therapy, travel and lodging assistance for patients from around the world who seek our care as well as special programs geared to pediatric patients. Your gifts enable us to improve the quality of lives of our patients while they are receiving treatment.
- Mass General has a long history of innovation in radiation technologies. Your donations enable us to create better technologies and advance standards of care to reduce side effects and improve outcomes for our patients.
- Our department has a reputation for teaching radiation professionals worldwide, including physicians, nurses, radiation therapists, physicists, engineers and dosimetrists. Your support allows us to educate tomorrow’s healthcare leaders.
- Endowed Professorships provide our physicians with resources to conduct their critical research and teaching work.
- Supporting capital projects, including renovation to our simulation facility in the lower level of the Cox Building and the critical addition of a second proton treatment device in the new Lunder Building.
For more information about how you can help the Department of Radiation Oncology advance its mission, please contact Sarah Christensen in the Mass General Development Office by email or by phone at (617) 724-6408.
Donate new toys or gift cards to Joy Toys
Cancer treatment is difficult for patients of all ages, but for children, daily radiation treatments for six to eight weeks are particularly draining. In an effort to brighten our pediatric patients’ spirits, we offer a special Toy Friday program where children under treatment — and their siblings — have a joyful and much-anticipated opportunity to select a special toy from the toy cabinets to celebrate completing another week of treatment. Below is a wish list of toys commonly coveted by our patients. If you’d like to make a toy donation, please send or drop off toys at the address below. We can only accept new toys with the tags and wrapping still attached.
Please note that we want all children to receive similar value toys. We appreciate you adhering to the dollar ranges provided for each age group and are happy to receive larger value donations in the form of a gift card. A gift card to Toys R Us or another similar retailer will allow us to purchase toys at a pediatric patient’s request to ensure they receive exactly the perfect gift.
INFANT ($10-$20): Playschool, Little Tikes, Melissa and Doug, educational, Little People, balls, Sesame Street, teethers
PRESCHOOL ($10-$20): Dora, Thomas the Train, Puzzles, "Cars," Toy Story items, Duplo, balls, Sponge Bob, Princess dolls, Baby dolls, Disney items, educational toys, Melissa and Doug
SCHOOL AGE ($10-$20): Arts and crafts of all kinds, Legos, Bionicles, Hex Bugs, Transformers, Nerf, Matchbox, Remote control toys, John Deere and Hess merchandise, small pillow pets, Games, Princess dolls, Action figures, Dress up items (fairy wings, tutus, princess shoes, tiaras, etc), Little Pet shop, My Little Pony, Polly Pockets, Spy gear, Animal Planet, Star Wars, Beyblades, Thomas the Train, Crayola items, Melissa and Doug, Lip gloss, stick on tattoos
TEENS ($10-$25): Arts and crafts of all kinds, Makeup, Glitter paint on tattoos, Air brush tattoos, Pillow pets, Legos, Nerf, handheld games, e.g. Simon, jewelry
GIFT CARDS ($10-$25): Our teenage patients often enjoy gift cards to the following locations:
($10 denominations): Barnes and Nobles, iTunes, Game Stop, Amazon>
($25 denominations): VISA, iTunes, Game Stop, Amazon, Toys R Us, Walmart, Target
Please limit balances to between $10-$25 per gift card, but we welcome donations of multiple gift cards in those increments.
Please send all in-kind donations of toys and gift cards to:
Massachusetts General Hospital
Department of Radiation Oncology
Burr Proton Center
Attn: Rachel Bolton, RN
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114
Please make sure to include your name and address so that we can acknowledge your gift.