The Musculoskeletal Imaging & Intervention Division of the Massachusetts General Hospital Department of Radiology is a leading provider of diagnostic services and image-guided therapies to patients with joint and spine disorders.
Clinical Division: Musculoskeletal Imaging & Intervention
|William E. Palmer, MD
Director, Musculoskeletal Imaging & Intervention Division
Best of Boston: Top Docs 2008, 2009 (Specialty: Diagnostic Radiology)
The Musculoskeletal Imaging & Intervention Division of the Mass General Department of Radiology is a leading provider of diagnostic services and image-guided therapies to patients with joint and spine disorders. Our team of physicians, secretaries, technologists and nurses achieves the highest quality of care in a personalized environment. One of our top priorities is ease of access. We pride ourselves on responsiveness to patient inquiries and physician contacts.
The musculoskeletal radiologists at Mass General are international authorities recognized for their experience and expertise in research and clinical practice. We are privileged to use state-of-the-art MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), CT (computed tomography), digital fluoroscopy, ultrasound and PET (positron emission tomography) technology. We work closely with orthopedic surgeons, neurologists, neurosurgeons, rheumatologists and oncologists to coordinate a multidisciplinary approach to patient evaluation and treatment.
Our special interests include sports-related injuries, pain-management procedures, arthritis, metabolic disorders and musculoskeletal tumors.
- We perform MR arthrography of joints, such as the shoulder, hip, elbow, ankle, wrist and knee.
- For diagnostic information and pain treatment, we use image guidance to inject anesthetic and steroid in and around the joints and spine (cervical, thoracic and lumbar).
- To promote tissue healing, we treat injured tissue with PRP (platelet-rich plasma).
- We are an international referral center for image-guided, minimally invasive treatment of osteoid osteoma.
- In patients with possible tumors, we perform needle biopsies of bone as well as soft tissues.
Musculoskeletal Imaging & Intervention Division links:
Patients and referring physicians, please visit Mass General Imaging for information on exams, treatments and scheduling.
The Department of Radiology trains residents, fellows and current providers in advanced medical imaging using the latest technology.