Dr. Dienstag’s research efforts have focused on antiviral therapy for chronic viral hepatitis. He has participated in clinical trials of all the major antiviral therapies for chronic hepatitis B and C, beginning with interferon monotherapy and culminating for hepatitis B in nucleoside analogs and for hepatitis C in pegylated interferon plus the nucleoside analog ribavirin. Between 2000 and 2010, he was the clinical center site-PI of a national, NIDDK-supported trial of maintenance antiviral therapy for patients refractory to treatment for chronic hepatitis C, the Hepatitis C Antiviral Long-term Treatment against Cirrhosis (HALT-C) Trial. Since 2003, he has been studying novel polymerase and protease inhibitors for hepatitis C. Currently, he is a coinvestigator in the NIDDK-supported Harvard Medical School Hepatitis B Clinical Research Network – Clinical Center. In addition, he is chairman of the Harvard Medical School Catalyst Human Research Center Advisory Committee (Clinical Translational Science Center).
The hepatitis C antiviral long-term treatment against cirrhosis (HALT-C): A randomized, controlled trial to evaluate the safety and efficacy of long-term peginterferon alpha-2a for treatment of chronic hepatitis C in subjects who failed to respond to previous interferon therapy
Selected Peer-reviewed Publications
1. Di Bisceglie AM, Shiffman ML, Everson GT, Lindsay KL, Everhart JE, Wright EC, Lee WM, Lok AS, Bonkovsky HL, Morgan TR, Ghany MG, Morishima C, Snow KK, Dienstag JL, HALT-C Trial Investigators. Prolonged therapy of advanced chronic hepatitis C with low dose peginterferon. N Engl J Med 2008;359:2429-2441. [PMID 19052125]
2. Lok AS, Seeff LB, Morgan TR, Di Bisceglie AM, Sterling RK, Curto TM, Everson GT, Lindsay KL, Lee WM, Bonkovsky HL, Dienstag JL, Ghany MG, Morishima C, Goodman ZD, HALT-C Trial Group. Incidence of hepatocellular carcinoma and associated risk factors in hepatitis C-related advanced liver disease. Gastroenterology 2009; 136:138-148. [PMID 18848939]
3. Fontana RJ, Bonkovsky HL, Naishadham D, Dienstag JL, Sterling RK, Lok ASF, Su GL, HALT-C Trial Group. Serum fibrosis marker levels decrease after successful antiviral treatment in chronic hepatitis C patients with advanced fibrosis. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2009;7:219-226. [PMID 19068241]
4. Goodman ZD, Stoddard AM, Bonkovsky HL, Fontana RJ, Ghany MG, Morgan TR, Wright EC, Brunt EM, Kleiner DE, Shiffman ML, Everson GT, Lindsay KL, Dienstag JL, Morishima C, HALT-C Trial Group. Fibrosis progression in chronic hepatitis C: Morphometric image analysis in the HALT-C Trial. Hepatology 2009;50:1738-1749. [PMID 19824074]
5. Shiffman ML, Morishima C, Dienstag JL, Lindsay KL, Hoefs JC, Lee WM, Wright EC, Naishadham D, Everson GT, Lok AS, Di Bisceglie AM, Bonkovsky HL, Ghany MG, HALT-C Trial Group. Effect of HCV RNA suppression during peginterferon alfa-2a maintenance therapy on clinical outcomes in the HALT-C Trial. Gastroenterology 2009;137:1986-1994. [PMID 19747918]
6. Ghany MG, Lok ASF, Everhart JE, Everson GT, Lee WM, Curto TM, Wright EC, Stoddard AM, Sterling RK, Di Bisceglie AM, Bonkovsky HL, Morishima C, Morgan TR, Dienstag JL, HALT-C Trial Group. Predicting clinical and histological outcomes based on standard laboratory tests in advanced chronic hepatitis C. Gastroenterology 2010; 138:136-146. [PMID 19766643]
7. Corey KE, Servoss JC, Casson DR, Kim AY, Robbins GK, Franzini J, Twitchell K, Loomis SC, Abraczinskas DR, Terella AM, Dienstag JL, Chung RT. Pilot study of postexposure prophylaxis for hepatitis C virus in healthcare workers. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2009; 30:1000-1005. [PMID 19743901]
8. Everhart JE, Wright EC, Goodman ZD, Dienstag JL, Hoefs JC, Kleiner DE, Ghany MG, Mills AS, Nash SR, Govindarajan S, Rogers TE, Greenson JK, Brunt EM, Bonkovsky HL, Morishima C, Litman HJ, HALT-C Trial Group. Prognostic value of Ishak fibrosis stage: Findings from the Hepatitis C Antiviral Long-term against Cirrhosis Trial. Hepatology 2010; 51:585-594. [PMID 20101752]
9. Lok AS, Sterling RK, Everhart JE, Wright EC, Hoefs JC, Di Bisceglie AM, Timothy R. Morgan TR, Kim H-Y, Lee WM, Bonkovsky HL, Dienstag JL, HALT-C Trial Group. Des-gamma-carboxy prothrombin and alpha fetoprotein as biomarkers for the early detection of hepatocellular carcinoma: Results of the HALT-C Trial. Gastroenterology 2010; 138:493-502. [PMID 19852963]
Proto magazine stakes its ground on medicine's leading edge, reporting back from the frontiers of research and practice - exploring breakthroughs, dissecting controversies and opening a forum for informed debate.
Discover the largest hospital-based research program in the U.S. and how clinicians and scientists chart new terrain in biomedical research to treat and prevent human disease and bring the latest advances to patient care
Discover what makes Massachusetts General Hospital not just one of the best places to receive patient care but also one of the best places to work.