Browse by Medical Category
Vincent Center for Reproductive Biology
The partnership between the Vincent Memorial Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital has yeilded numerous advances in the research, diagnosis and treatment of diseases affecting women.
The Vincent Memorial hospital was founded in 1891 by the friends of Mrs. J.R. Vincent as a memorial to the generous Boston actress. Dedicated to the care of an increasing number of sick and indigent women, the hospital was originally located at 44 Chambers Street.
The hospital quickly outgrew its initial 10-bed capacity. In 1908, it moved to larger quarters on South Huntington Avenue where it remained until 1940.
At that time, Chief of Staff Dr. Joe Vincent Meigs and the Vincent Trustees recognized the tremendous potential of merging the Vincent with the broad resources of the Massachusetts General Hospital.
As a result, The Vincent Memorial Hospital accepted The MGH's invitation to become its gynecology service while retaining its own hospital identity and staff.
In 1988, the Vincent and Mass General revised their agreement. The corporate purpose of the Vincent was stated as: "The corporation is organized and shall be operated exclusively to support programs for the care and treatment of the diseases of women at The Massachusetts General Hospital and other organizations…which have as their sole member The Massachusetts General Hospital."
The Vincent's independent hospital license was allowed to expire, and Mass General agreed to formally designate those places and programs associated with and funded by the Vincent Memorial Hospital Corporation with the name "Vincent."
It was also at this time that the 18-member Vincent Memorial Hospital Board of Trustees expanded to include two Mass General trustees.
The present agreement reaffirms the corporate independence of the Vincent Memorial Hospital and its endowment and cements a partnership of shared interests, efforts, and accomplishments, which has yielded numerous advances in the research, diagnosis, and treatment of diseases affecting women.
In addition to working closely with Mass General and The Vincent Obstetrics and Gynecology Service leadership, Vincent Memorial Hospital Board of Trustees coordinates its efforts with those of The Vincent Board of Managers, The Vincent's in-hospital auxiliary volunteer group, and the 1,200 member-strong Vincent Club.
Back to Top