The commuter rail is run by the MBTA (Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority) and is comprised of 12 lines that travel to central Boston from outlying areas within Boston and the Boston suburbs.
To travel to Mass General by commuter rail, take a train to either South Station or North Station. At South Station, switch to the Red Line T (see below). From North Station, take the free shuttle bus to Mass General.
From South Station
- Take the Alewife-bound (outbound) Red Line train to Charles/MGH Station
- Follow the exit signs to Mass General (heading north)
- Make a right to follow Cambridge Street east one block
- Make a left (north) onto No. Grove Street
- The main entrance is straight ahead
From North Station
- There is a free Partners shuttle bus that runs between Mass General and North Station every 15 minutes on weekdays, and every 30 minutes on weekends. The shuttle bus stop is directly across from North Station on Causeway Street.