Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Burns Service, Department of Surgery
55 Fruit Street
Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital
300 First Avenue
Charlestown, MA 02129-3109
- MD, Tel Aviv University Sackler School of Medicine
- Residency, North Shore Long Island Jewish/Northwell
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, University of North Carolina Hospitals
American Board Certifications
- Surgery, American Board of Surgery
- Surgical Critical Care, American Board of Surgery
- Plastic Surgery, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
The focus of my clinical research has been on the use of laser for the treatment of burn and traumatic scarring. I have performed over 700 laser treatments specifically for scarring from multiple causes. In addition, I am the principle investigator for several multicenter randomized trials on burn treatments. One such trial, the DETECT study, utilizes a strong enzyme (Nexobrid) to remove burned skin without surgery and often reduces the need for skin grafting. The DETECT study hopes to pave the way for FDA approval of his product in the United States. We also have experience using ReCell, a regenerative skin cell suspension, that is sprayed onto wounds to help skin regenerate.
My basic science research focuses on the creation of a full thickness skin graft from decellularized pig skin. Thin skin flaps are treated with detergents that remove the native cells, leaving behind a framework, or matrix, which can then be seeded with a patients' own cells. Ultimately, this could eliminate the need for skin grafting using the patient’s own skin.
- The use of CO2 fractional photothermolysis for the treatment of burn scars. J. Burn Care Res. 2016
- Our Natural Defense: The Skin. Critical Care Medicine, 2014.
- Hand Burns. Oxford Specialist Handbook of Burns, First Edition, 2013
- The Role of a Dedicated Staff Psychiatrist in Modern Burn Centers. Annals of Burns and Fire Disasters, 2013.
- Burn Critical Care, Surgical Clinics of North America, 2014.