The new employee checklist below will help guide you through the onboarding process. We were once in your shoes and hope this list of action items helps you feel more organized as you begin your new role at the hospital.
NOTE: You will be able to begin completing the steps below on your start date, when you officially become an MGH employee. Until then, we encourage you take time to carefully review the information on this page and the rest of the new hire site. Your recruiter is available to assist you if you have any questions. Their name can be found on your offer letter. Otherwise, no further action is necessary until your start date.
New Employee Checklist
☐ Present original supporting I-9 documents at the Employee Access Center
HireRight Customer Support will e-mail you instructions for completing the I-9 form and presenting your original I-9 documents prior to your start date. You may contact MGHNewHires@partners.org with any questions.
☐ Get your photo ID badge
Get your photo ID badge at the Police and Security Office on the main Mass General campus. We recommend doing this the same day you come onsite to complete the I-9 process. If you are transferring from Bulfinch Temporary status, Police and Security will apply an overlay to your badge reflecting your change in employment status. Employees are required to visibly wear their hospital ID badge while working onsite at Mass General or any Mass General Brigham affiliate.
☐ Participate in a live welcome session using Zoom
Join us Monday morning from 9 am - 10 am for this optional online Welcome Session on Zoom. (If Monday is a holiday, the live welcome will be held on Tuesday.) You will receive an email from MGH Training with directions on how to join the session.
☐ Get your Mass General Brigham username and password
You will receive an email from MGH Training with directions to get your username and password. You need a username and password in order to complete the remaining tasks.
☐ Complete Online New Employee Orientation (NEO)
New Employee Orientation is online using a program called HealthStream. You will need a laptop or desktop computer to complete orientation. You cannot complete orientation on mobile devices such as smart phones or tablets. Contact your recruiter if you do not have access to a computer or if you will have any difficulty completing the online orientation for any reason, such as limited English, computer skills or disability.
The deadline to complete NEO is by the Thursday of your first week.
Instructions to complete NEO:
- Go to the HealthStream access page at partners.org/healthstream. To minimize the possibility of technical issues, use Google Chrome as your internet browser.
- Enter your Mass General Brigham User ID and password.
- If you are completing NEO offsite, you will be prompted to receive a confirmation code by either a text message or phone call to the number you provided when getting your username and password. Submit your selection. Upon receipt of the confirmation code, enter it on your screen.
- Once you’ve logged in, you will be defaulted to the “To Do” tab. Click MGH Online New Employee Orientation curriculum to begin. All 18 modules need to be completed. It typically takes about five hours to finish the training. If you stop at any point during the training, HealthStream will remember where you left off and return you to that section.
- Benefits-eligible employees: Click here to enroll in a self-paced online Benefits orientation. The Benefits orientation will fully explain all of your health insurance and retirement benefits options. You have 30 days from your start date to enroll in or opt out of benefits available to you through Mass General. If you do not make a selection or opt out within this 30-day window, you will be automatically enrolled in the Select, employee-only coverage plan, and 2% of your weekly paycheck will be directed to a retirement savings plan.
☐ Enter your personal information in PeopleSoft (https://ibridge.partners.org)
You will be prompted to enter your Mass General Brigham user ID and password. You’ll be directed to the Employee Self Service landing page in PeopleSoft, the hospital’s Human Resources Information System (HRIS). It is important to keep your information current as changes occur. This will help ensure you receive important information from Human Resources in a timely manner.
Follow these steps:
- Employee Self Service > myDetails
- Review/update address/contact details
- Review/update self-identify veteran status
- Review/update self-identify disability status
- Enter flu vaccine status
- Employee Self Service > myPay
- Enter Direct Deposit Information
- Select “Remaining Balance” if you’d like your entire paycheck deposited into one account. You also have the option to deposit portions of your paycheck across multiple accounts using specific dollar amounts or percentages.
Direct deposit is mandatory for all new employees. Please have your bank account information (routing and account numbers) ready for you to enroll in direct deposit via PeopleSoft (our Human Resources Information System). You may add up to nine (9) bank accounts. The onsite Harvard University Employees Credit Union is available to all employees.
If you are unable to enroll in direct deposit you will need to be enrolled in our Pay Card program. Additional details are provided in the online New Employee Orientation modules.
- Enter your tax withholding information
- Call Payroll at 617-726-2148 if you have any questions
- Enroll in MBTA Pass (optional/if eligible)
- Call Parking and Commuter Services at 617-726-8886 if you have any questions
- Enter Direct Deposit Information
- Employee Self Service > myBenefits (if eligible, enter elections within 30 days):
Visit www.askmyhrportal.com or call 1-833-275-6947 with questions
- Click Select. It will take you to the benefits enrollment page
- If not taking medical insurance, select the appropriate “opt out” option. If you do not make a selection or opt out within this 30-day window, you will be automatically enrolled in the Partners Select, employee only coverage plan, and 2% of your weekly paycheck will be directed to a Tax Sheltered Annuity (TSA).
- If opting out of the TSA, delete the 2% in Traditional TSA and leave the box blank. Refer to the online benefits module in HealthStream if you have questions about the TSA.
☐ Get connected
- If you plan to use personal mobile devices for work purposes, call the Help Desk at 617-726-5085 for encryption instructions
- Go to the Mass General Brigham Telephone Directory to sign up for MGH Broadcast emails. Click Go to my profile > Edit this entry and check the MGH box under Email Distribution Lists
New employees with the Massachusetts General Physicians Organization (e.g., Fellows, Residents), should contact Professional Staff Compensation for onboarding information.