When Should I Call the Doctor?

Call the doctor if your child...

  • Is vomiting or has diarrhea from an illness. He/she should be seen immediately by a doctor so they don’t develop severe dehydration.
  • Is hospitalized, has surgery or needs intravenous (IV) fluids. Ask your other health care providers to contact your child’s endocrinologist or nephrologist. The doctor who treats your child’s DI can help decide which IV fluids and medications your child should have.

Learn More

Rev. 9/2015. MassGeneral Hospital for Children and Massachusetts General Hospital do not endorse any of the brands listed on this handout. This handout is intended to provide health information so that you can be better informed. It is not a substitute for medical advice and should not be used to treatment of any medical conditions.