Departments, Centers, & Programs:
300 Longwood Avenue
Boston, MA 02115
- MD, University of Pennsylvania Hospital
- M.D.; Ph.D., University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
- Residency, Massachusetts Eye & Ear
- Residency, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary
- Fellowship, Boston Children's Hospital
- Fellowship, Children's Hospital Boston
- Fellowship, Massachusetts Eye & Ear
- Fellowship, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary
American Board Certifications
- Ophthalmology, American Board of Ophthalmology
As the director of the Pediatric Neuro-ophthalmology service at Boston Children’s Hospital, Dr. Heidary’s research focuses on translational work towards the improved management and treatment of patients with visually threatening, pediatric neuro-ophthalmic disease and complex strabismus. Specific efforts have focused on the development of a method to non-invasively assess elevated intracranial pressure using otoacoustic emissions in patients with idiopathic intracranial hypertension or pseudotumor cerebri. Additionally, Dr. Heidary has been working towards the development of a novel system to accurately assess visual field dysfunction in pediatric patients using Saccadic Vector Optokinetic Perimetry (SVOP). With this technique, “eye tracking” technology is used to evaluate pediatric patients for visual field loss.
1. Gaier ED, Heidary G. Pediatric Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension. Semin Neurol. 2019 Dec; 39(6):704-710.
2. Pineles SL, Aakalu VK, Hutchinson AK, Galvin JA, Heidary G, Binenbaum G, VanderVeen DK, Lambert SR. Binocular Treatment of Amblyopia: A Report by the American Academy of Ophthalmology. Ophthalmology. 2019 Oct 13.
3. Heidary G, Mackinnon S, Elliott A, Barry BJ, Engle EC, Hunter DG. Outcomes of strabismus surgery in genetically confirmed congenital fibrosis of the extraocular muscles. J AAPOS. 2019 Oct; 23(5):253.e1-253.e6.
4. Lambert SR, Aakalu VK, Hutchinson AK, Pineles SL, Galvin JA, Heidary G, Binenbaum G, VanderVeen DK. Intraocular Lens Implantation during Early Childhood: A Report by the American Academy of Ophthalmology. Ophthalmology. 2019 Oct; 126(10):1454-1461.
5. Somsen D, Heidary G. Rapid onset of orbital cellulitis after uncomplicated strabismus surgery. J AAPOS. 2019 Oct; 23(5):290-291.