What Causes Fatty Liver Disease?
Doctors are not sure what causes this disease. But there are certain things that can raise your child’s risk of developing it, such as:
- Having overweight or obesity, especially around the waist
- Having diabetes or insulin resistance
- High levels of fats in the blood
- Being white, Hispanic or Native American
- Being male
What Are the Symptoms of Fatty Liver Disease?
Some children might have some symptoms while others do not have any symptoms. Call the doctor if your child develops any of these symptoms:
- Pain in the upper right part of the belly
- Feeling tired or weak
- Jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes)
- Higher levels of liver enzymes in the blood
- Liver or spleen (a small organ that helps filter blood) that is larger than normal
- Shortness of breath, especially with exercise