What Causes Growth Hormone Deficiency?
Often times the cause of growth hormone deficiency in children is unknown. Since every child is different there can be numerous different causes of growth hormone deficiency. Growth hormone deficiency may be present at birth but could also have been causes by other medical conditions or injuries. Some causes include:
- The pituitary gland did not develop properly and is not producing enough growth hormone.
- A mass or tumor is affecting or preventing the pituitary gland from producing growth hormone.
- Radiation therapy to treat brain tumors or other types of cancers near the hypothalamus or pituitary gland.
- Inflammation of the pituitary gland
- Head trauma
- Physical defects of the face or skull
- Other genetic diseases that interfere with the pituitary gland