Why Would My Child Be Seen By an Endocrinologist About Their Weight?
We see children with weight concerns for 4 reasons. These reasons are:
- Poor diet
Many children who have overweight or obesity might have gained extra weight because they eat more calories than they should for their age or they drink a lot of soda or juice with extra sugar. We can help you figure out the right number of calories and the types of food and drinks that your child should have for his or her age.
- Not enough exercise
Children who have overweight or obesity might have gained extra weight because they do not get enough exercise. We can help you figure out how much exercise your child should have every day.
- Problems with the body’s endocrine system
A small number of children with obesity have problems with their endocrine systems. The endocrine system helps control hormones in the body. We can help you figure out if there are any problems with your child’s endocrine system.
- Other health conditions
Children who have overweight or obesity have a higher risk of developing other health conditions that are associated with weight gain. Some of these health conditions are:
- High cholesterol or high levels of fat in the blood
- Type 2 diabetes
- High blood pressure
- Fat build up in the liver
- Problems with kidneys, like bedwetting
- Problems with bones or joints
- Sleep apnea (trouble breathing while sleeping)
- Skin problems, like stretch marks or dark, rough skin around the arms or neck
- Late puberty in boys
- Early puberty in girls
- Irregular periods, unwanted hair or acne (pimples) in girls
- About Obesity
- Screening and Evaluation
- Why Children See the Doctor About Their Weight