Bert Zarins, MD
Bert Zarins, MD
Chief Emeritus, Sports Medicine Service
Augustus Thorndike Clinical Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, Harvard Medical School
Sports Medicine Orthopaedic Surgeon
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Sports Medicine Service
Charles River Plaza
175 Cambridge St., 4th Floor
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, State University of New York at Syracuse, College of Medicine
- Residency, Johns Hopkins Hospital***
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital*****
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital*****
American Board Certifications
- Orthopedic Surgery, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Zarins' clinical contributions have been in the development of Sports Medicine and arthroscopy as specialties and in the treatment of knee and shoulder injuries. He developed an anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction and has improved ways to stabilize the shoulder. Dr. Zarins also helped develop some of the arthroscopic diagnostic and surgical procedures that are used in arthroscopic surgery of the knee, shoulder and other joints today.
Dr. Zarins' research interests are related to knee and shoulder injuries. Basic science research projects Dr. Zarins has done include biomechanical studies of the knee, patella dislocations, and studies on the effects of laser energy on musculoskeletal tissues.
- Mesiha M, Zurakowski D, Soriano J, Nielson JH, Zarins B, Murray MM. Pathologic characteristics of the torn human meniscus. Am J Sports Med 2007;35:103-12.
- Chan BP, Amann C, Yaroslavsky AN, Title C, Smink D, Zarins B, Kochevar IE, Redmond RW. Photochemical repair of Achilles tendon rupture in a rat model. J Surgical Research 2005;124:274-9.
- Wang C, Ghalambor N, Zarins B, Warner JP. Arthroscopic versus open bankart repair:analysis of patient subjective outcome and cost. Arthroscopy 2005;21:1219-22.
- Giza E, Mithofer K, Farrell L, Zarins B, Gill T. Injuries in women's professional soccer. Br J Sports Med 2005;39:212-6.
- Gill TJ, DeFrate LE, Wang C, Carey CT, Zyontz S, Zarins B, Li G. The effect of posterior cruciate ligament reconstruction on patellofemoral contact pressures in the knee joint under simulated muscle loads. Am J Sports Med 2003;32:109-13.