George Dec, MD
George Dec, MD
Chief Emeritus, Cardiology Division
Roman W. DeSanctis Professor of Medicine at HMS
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Mass General Heart Center
55 Fruit St.
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
American Board Certifications
- Cardiovascular Disease, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
In 1984, Dr. Dec initiated the Mass General Heart Failure and Cardiac Transplant Program which has become one of the most active programs in New England. His research interests have focused upon the diagnosis and treatment of dilated cardiomyopathy, lymphocytic and granulomatous myocarditis, advanced heart failure and cardiac transplant management. He established the heart failure clinical trials program and has served as Principal Investigator for over four dozen trials of novel heart failure pharmacological agents.
Dec has edited three textbooks in his fields of expertise: Cardiac Allograft Rejection, Heart Failure: A Comprehensive Guide to Diagnosis and Management, and Heart Failure Clinics of America: Update on Myocarditis Diagnosis and Treatment. He serves on the Editorial Boards of the Journal of Cardiac Failure and The Journal of the American College of Cardiology.
Dec serves as site Principal Investigator for a National of Institute of Health Clinical Skills Core Development grant as part of the overall Heart Failure Network and as site Principal Investigator on a second NIH grant evaluating the clinical characteristics and genetics of recovery of acute dilated cardiomyopathy.
Among Dec's awards include: Phi Beta Kappa (1974), Alpha Omega Alpha (1978), the Nathaniel Bowditch Award (2006) and Partners in Excellence Awards (2006, 2007, 2009, 2010).
- Ajiiola O, Nandigam KV, Chabner BA, Orencole M, Dec, GW, Ruskin JN, Singh JP. Usefulness of cardiac resynchronization in the management of adriamycin-induced cardiomyopathy. Am J Cardiol 2008; 101:1371-2.
- Haddad G, Saunders L, Crosby S, Carles M, del Monte F, Bristow M, Spinale F, Macgillivray T, Semigran M, Dec, G, Hajjar R, Gwathmey J. Fingerprint profile of alcohol-associated heart failure in human hearts. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research 2008;32:814-21.
- Cooper LT, Hare JM, Tazelaar HD, Edwards WD, Starling RC, Deng MD, Menon S, Mullen GM, Jaski B, Baily KR, Cunningham MW, Dec GW. Usefulness of immunosuppression in giant cell myocarditis. Am J Cardiol 2008;102:1535-9.
- Haddad GE, Saunder LJ, Crosby SD, Carles SD, delMonte F, King K, Bristow MR, Spinale FG, Macgillivray TE, Semigran MJ, Dec GW, Williams SA, Hajjar RJ, Gwathmey JK. Human cardiac-specific cDNA array for idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy: sex-related differences. Physiol Genomics 2008;33:267-77.
- Haider N, Arbustini E, Gupta S, Liu H, Narula N, Hajjar R, Semigran MJ, Dec GW, Chandrashekhar Y, Narual J. Concurrent upregulation of endogenous pro- and anti-apoptotic factors in the failing human heart. Nature Cardiovascular Medicine 2009;6:250-61.