At 5 weeks old, Natalia Boidi was rushed to the emergency room, where doctors diagnosed her with SMA. After months in the PICU and a novel treatment called Spinraza, Natalia can breathe on her own and is learning to stand -- things that were once almost impossible with her disease.
Bernard Kinane, MD
Bernard Kinane, MD
Associate Chief for Education
Director of Pediatric Sleep Program and Pediatric Cardiopulmonary Exercise Laboratory
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Mass General for Children: Pediatric Pulmonary Medicine
275 Cambridge Street
Boston, MA 02114
Mass General for Children: Pediatric Sleep Disorders Program
55 Fruit St.
Boston, MA 02114
- Residency, Children's Medical Center of Dallas
- Residency, Our Lady Hospital for Sick Children
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital*****
American Board Certifications
- Pediatric Pulmonology, American Board of Pediatrics
- Sleep Medicine, American Board of Pediatrics
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Kinane's research focuses on 3 distinct areas:
Regulation of cell migration:- Dr. Kinane's group focuses on transduction pathways that regulate cell migration and lung development. He has identified novel regulators of lung cell and inflammatory migration including Netrins. He found that these Netrin like molecules are critical in regulation of lung development and inflammatory responses. This research has broad implications for congenital lung malformation, blood vessel inflammation including coronary artery disease and autoimmune disease.
Regulation of the control of breathing:- In patients with central congenital hypoventilation syndrome, his group identified one of the molecular mechanisms of this syndrome. Recently he has extended this work to the regulation of breathing in common physiological conditions. He has recently focused his studies on airway obstruction in infants while placed in a car seat. This work has resulted in a number of highly cited manuscripts.
Pediatric interstitial lung disease:- Dr. Kinane's group works on the genetic basis, classification and treatment of interstitial disease. He has developed a genetics clinic in pulmonary to support this work.
- Kinane TB. Lung development and implications for hypoplasia found in congenital diaphragmatic hernia. Am J Med Genet C Semin Med Genet (2007); 145(2): 117-24.
- Canapari CA, Hoppin AG, Kinane TB, Thomas BJ, Torriani M, Katz ES.(2011) Relationship between Sleep Apnea, Fat Distribution, and Insulin Resistance in Obese Children. J Clin Sleep Med 7(3):268-273
- Yonker LM, Kinane TB. Pediatric interstitial lung disease: TTF-1 mutations and their phenotype potpourri Chest 2013 Sep;144(3):728-30
- Yonker LM, Zan S, Scirica CV, Jethwani K, Kinane TB . "Friending" Teens:Systematic Review of Social Media in Adolescent and Young Adult Health Care. J Med Internet Res. 2015 Jan 5;17(1):e4.
- Diercks GR, Keamy D, Kinane TB, Skotko B, Schwartz A, Grealish E, Dobrowski J,Soose R, Hartnick CJ. Hypoglossal Nerve Stimulator Implantation in an Adolescent With Down Syndrome and Sleep Apnea. Pediatrics. 2016 May;137(5).
- Denman LA, Yonker LM, Kinane TB. The Classification of ATP-binding Cassette Subfamily A Member 3 (ABCA3) Mutations Using The Cystic Fibrosis Transmembrane Conductance Regulator (CFTR) Classification System. In Press Pediatric Investigation
- Kinane TB, Mayer OH, Duda PW, Lowes LP, Moody SL, Mendell JR Long- Term Pulmonary Function In Patients with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy: Comparison of Eteplirsen-Treated Patients to Natural History. J Neuromuscul Dis. 2017 Dec 20. doi: 10.3233/JND-170272
Related News and Articles
- Nov | 23 | 2021
Tapping expertise from MassGeneral Hospital for Children, the Myhre Syndrome Foundation launched its inaugural conference on July 10-11, 2021.
- Patient Story
- Jan | 28 | 2020
Ty Puente is a gadget guy. From air conditioners to fire alarms to washing machines, you name it and he knows all about it. The talkative 9-year-old’s knowledge could rival that of any appliance repair expert, but just a few years earlier, Ty barely spoke a word.