Patients with carotid artery narrowing had been limited to endarterectomy or stenting, however a new approach allows for comparable results with less risk.
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Division of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery
15 Parkman Street
Boston, MA 02114-3117
- MD, UC San Francisco School of Medicine
- Residency, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, Arizona Heart Institute
American Board Certifications
- Vascular Surgery, American Board of Surgery
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Kwolek has been involved with numerous FDA approved clinical trials to evaluate the safety and effectiveness of new devices and techniques for the management patients with complex vascular problems. He has served as the MGH site principal investigator for trials involving Thoracic aortic stent grafting for the repair of degenerative aneurysms, aortic dissection and traumatic injury to the thoracic aorta. He is currently serving as the site principal investigator to evaluate new fenestrated stent grafts for treating complex abdominal aortic aneurysms and serves as the National Co-principal investigator for the Terumo Anaconda Infrarenal stent graft trial. He has been the MGH principal investigator for several trials involving carotid angioplasty and stenting and will serve as the National Co-Principal Investigator for a new carotid stent trial using proximal flow reversal, Dr. Kwolek has also been involved as the MGH PI for lower extremity angioplasty and stenting trials using plain and drug eluting stents and is leading the research effort to evaluate mechanical atherectomy for the treatment of lower extremity arterial disease.
Dr. Kwolek's other interests include the use of intravascular ultrasound for the management of aortic dissection and other acute vascular problems, placement and retrieval of temporary IVC filters for the management of venous thrombosis, and the management of venous and arterial thoracic outlet syndrome.
- Kwolek CJ. Has carotid angioplasty and stenting (CAS) replaced carotid endarterectomy (CEA) as the treatment of choice for Carotid disease? Pro. J Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia 2009;23(2):245-
- Cambria RP, Crawford RS, Cho JS, Bavaria J, Farber M, Lee WA, Ramaiah V, Kwolek CJ. A multicenter clinical trial of endovascular stent graft repair of acute catastrophes of the descending thoracic aorta. J Vasc Surg 2009;50:1255-64
- Kwolek CJ, Watkins MT. The INvestigation of STEnt Grafts in Aortic Dissection (INSTEAD) trial: the need for ongoing analysis. Circulation 2009; 120(25):2513-4
- Kwolek CJ, Jaff MR, Leal JI, Hopkins LN, Shah R, Hanover TM, Macdonald S, Cambria RP. Results of the ROADSTER multicenter trial of transcarotid stenting with dynamic flow reversal. J Vasc Surg, 2015;62(5):1227-34.
- Kwolek CJ. Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Endovascular Management, In Eds. Lillemoe K. . DeMoya, House, Hutter, Clinical Decision Support in Surgery. www.decisionsupportinmedicine.com, 2016, Wilmington, DE, Decision Support in Medicine, LLC.
- Wang L, Kwolek CJ. Carotid Artery Stent/Neck Approach/Difficult Arch. In Eds. Upchurch G, Henke P. Clinical Scenarios in Vascular Surgery, 2015, Philadelphia,Wolters Kluwer