ICU patients on ventilators who had abnormally high factor V activity were at higher risk for blood clots, and when factor V was lower, the risk for death was increased.
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Massachusetts General Hospital
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
- MD, Harvard Medical School
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital
American Board Certifications
- Clinical Pathology, American Board of Pathology
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Research interests include:
Clinically-oriented studies in thrombosis and hemostasis
Research is focused on coagulation, in particular, diagnostic coagulation testing and heparin-induced thrombocytopenia (HIT), including new anticoagulants for the treatment of HIT
- The effects of dabigatran on lupus anticoagulant, diluted plasma thrombin time, and other specialized coagulation assays. Kim YA, Gosselin R, Van Cott EM. Int J Lab Hematol. 2014 Dec 17. doi: 10.1111/ijlh.12319. [Epub ahead of print] No abstract available.
- Activated protein C resistance testing for factor V Leiden. Kadauke S, Khor B, Van Cott EM.Am J Hematol. 2014 Dec;89(12):1147-50.
- Increased transfusion-free survival following auxiliary pig liver xenotransplantation. Yeh H, Machaidze Z, Wamala I, Fraser JW, Navarro-Alvarez N, Kim K, Schuetz C, Shi S, Zhu A, Hertl M, Elias N, Farkash EA, Vagefi PA, Varma M, Smith RN, Robson SC, Van Cott EM, Sachs DH, Markmann JF. Xenotransplantation. 2014 Sep-Oct;21(5):454-64. doi: 10.1111/xen.12111. Epub 2014 Aug 1.