Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Surgical Oncology Associates
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
Mass General Waltham
52 Second Avenue
Waltham, MA 02451
- MD, Emory University School of Medicine
- Residency, Tufts Medical Center
- Fellowship, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
American Board Certifications
- Surgery, American Board of Surgery
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
The Cusack Laboratory has made landmark contributions to the field of molecular therapeutics, advancing the understanding of chemotherapy resistance within cancer cells. Dr. Cusack is Director of the Surgical Oncology Laboratories at the Massachusetts General Hospital. His two most cited papers in Nature Medicine 1999 and Cancer Research 2001 describe the inhibition of the transcription factor NF-kappaB to overcome inducible chemotherapy resistance. Dr. Cusack is co-inventor of the patent that describes this therapeutic strategy, now licensed to two pharmaceutical companies for drug development. He recently defined the role of HB-EGF, a downstream target of NF-kappaB in cancer resistance. Based on this work, he developed a new cancer treatment with scientists in Japan. Ongoing areas of investigation include the development of targeted therapeutic approaches to overcome resistance mechanisms in melanoma, rectal cancer, and Merkel Cell carcinoma. His bibliography lists over 70 publications, and he continues to serve on numerous editorial boards. Dr. Cusack's laboratory has been funded since 1995 by the National Institutes of Health, the American Cancer Society, biotech collaborators, and his patients.
If you would like to make a contribution to the Cusack Laboratory, please call 617-726-3618.
- Ferreiro-Neira I, Torres, NE, Liesenfeld LF, Chan CHF, Penson T, Landesman Y, Senapedis W, Shacham S, Hong TS and Cusack, JC. XPO1 inhibition enhances radiation response in preclinical models of rectal cancer. Clin Cancer Res (Published Online First Nov 24, 2015)
- Erstad DJ, Tumusiime G, Cusack JC. Prognostic and Predictive Biomarkers in Colorectal Cancer: Implications for the Clinical Surgeon. Ann Surg Oncol 2015 Oct;22(11):3433-50
- Chan CHF, Cusack, JC, Ryan DP. A critical look at local-regional management of peritoneal metastasis. Hem Onc Clinics N Am 2015 Feb; 29 (1):153-58.
- Riesel JN, Mandingo M, Gillies R, Damuse R, Farmer PE, Cusack JC, Krakauer EL, Shulman L. Surgical Palliative care in resource-limited settings. Lancet, 2015 8 August; 386(9993):527.
- Cercek A, MD, Cusack JC, Ryan DP. Treatment of Peritoneal Carcinomatosis of Colorectal Origin. Am Soc Clin Oncol Educ Book. 2015; 35:e208-11.
- Chao TE, Riesel JN, Anderson GA, Mullen JT, Doyle J, Briggs SM, Lillemoe KD, Goldstein C, Kitya D, Cusack JC. Building a Global Surgery Initiative Through Evaluation, Collaboration, and Training: The Massachusetts General Hospital Experience. J Surg Educ. 2015 Jul-Aug; 72(4):e21-8.
- Santamaria-Barria JA, Boland GM, Yeap BY, Nardi V, Dias-Santagata D, Cusack JC. Merkel Cell Carcinoma: 30-year experience from a single institution. Ann Surg Onc 2013;20(4):1365-73.
- Erstad D, Cusack JC. Mutational Analysis of Merkel Cell Carcinoma. Cancers. 2014 October; 6:2116-36.