Malcolm Smith, MD
Malcolm Smith, MD
Associate Chief, Partners Orthopaedic Trauma Service
Associate Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, Harvard Medical School
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
- MD, University of Leeds
- Residency, Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre
- Fellowship, Boston Children's Hospital
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Smith is well-published in orthopaedic trauma literature. His research portfolio contains basic science, epidemiological, clinical method and outcome studies. Of note, Dr. Smith's work on the healing of femoral fractures, the immune response after trauma, and open fracture management are considered landmark papers in the field of orthopaedic trauma.
Dr. Smith has published extensively in the field trauma orthopaedics. Here is a short selection:
- Bhattacharyya T, Mehta P, Smith RM, Pomahac B. Routine Use of Wound Vacuum-Assisted Closure Does Not Allow Coverage Delay for Open Tibia Fractures. Plast. Reconstr. Surg. 2008,121(4) 1263-1266.
- Morley JR, Smith RM, Pape. HC, Macdonald DA, Trejdosiewitz LK, Giannoudis PV Stimulation of the local inflammatory response to fracture and intramedullary reaming, A preliminary study of the source of the second hit phenomenon.J Bone & Joint Surg 2008, 90(3) 393-399.
- O'toole RV, Gobezie R, Hwang R, Chandler AR, Smith RM, Estok DM 2nd, Vrahas MS. Low Complication Rate of LISS for Femur Fractures Adjacent to Stable Hip or Knee Arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2006 May 18.
- Bhattacharyya T, McCarty LP 3rd, Harris MB, Morrison SM, Wixted JJ, Vrahas MS, Smith RM. The posterior shearing tibial plateau fracture: treatment and results via a posterior approach. J Orthop Trauma. 2005 May-Jun;19(5):305-10.
- Gopal S, Giannoudis PV, Murray A, Matthews SJ, Smith RM. The functional outcome of severe, open tibial fractures managed with early fixation and flap coverage. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2004 Aug;86(6):861-7.
- Syed AA, Agarwal M, Giannoudis PV, Matthews SJ, Smith RM. Distal femoral fractures: long-term outcome following stabilisation with the LISS Injury. 2004 Jun;35(6):599-607.
- Giannoudis PV, Hinsche AF, Cohen A, Macdonald DA, Matthews SJ, Smith RM. Segmental tibial fractures: an assessment of procedures in 27 cases. Injury. 2003 Oct;34(10):756-62.