James Chodosh, MD, MPH
James Chodosh, MD, MPH
Associate Director, Cornea and Refractive Surgery Service
Associate Chief of Ophthalmology Education
Director, Boston Keratoprosthesis Clinical Programs
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary
243 Charles Street
Boston, MA 02114 - 3002
- MD, Baylor College of Medicine
- MPH, University of Oklahoma College of Public Health
- Residency, Baylor College of Medicine
- Fellowship, Bascom Palmer Eye Institute
- Fellowship, University of Miami School of Medicine
American Board Certifications
- Ophthalmology, American Board of Ophthalmology
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Chodosh illuminates the molecular pathogenesis of adenoviral ocular infection and restores vision to those with blinding, autoimmune, corneal diseases through expanding the clinical scope of the Boston Keratoprosthesis (B-KPro), a unique corneal substitute developed by Dr. Claes H. Dohlman. His group is the worldwide leader inadenoviral ocular pathogenesis. Dr. Chodosh studies the viruses that cause the most severe form of pink eye, known as epidemic keratoconjunctivitis (EKC). In particular, his group generated the first whole genome sequence for the adenoviruses that cause EKC, created the first mouse model of adenovirus keratitis, and pioneered the cornea as a model system in which to study the role of tissue fibroblasts in innate immune responses to infection.
1. Jakobiec FA, Hanbazazh M, Cortes Barrantes P, Chodosh J. Adult Primary Capillary Hemangioma of the Sclera: A Previously Undescribed Entity With a Review of Epibulbar Vascular Lesions. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg. 2019 Dec 31.
2. Ung L, Wang Y, Vangel M, Davies EC, Gardiner M, Bispo PJM, Gilmore MS, Chodosh J. Validation of a Comprehensive Clinical Algorithm for the Assessment and Treatment of Microbial Keratitis. Am J Ophthalmol. 2019 Dec 30.
3. Jonas RA, Ung L, Rajaiya J, Chodosh J. Mystery Eye: Human Adenovirus and the Enigma of Epidemic Keratoconjunctivitis. Prog Retin Eye Res. 2019 Dec 28; 100826.
4. Ung L, Bispo PJM, Bryan NC, Andre C, Chodosh J, Gilmore MS. The Best of All Worlds: Streptococcus pneumoniae Conjunctivitis through the Lens of Community Ecology and Microbial Biogeography. Microorganisms. 2019 Dec 25; 8(1).
5. Mohamed Ismail A, Zhou X, Dyer DW, Seto D, Rajaiya J, Chodosh J. Genomic foundations of evolution and ocular pathogenesis in human adenovirus species D. FEBS Lett. 2019 Dec; 593(24):3583-3608.