Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Mass General Gastroenterology
55 Fruit St.
Boston, MA 02114
Mass General/North Shore Center for Outpatient Care
102-104 Endicott St.
Danvers, MA 01923
- M.D., M.P.H., Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital*****
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital*****
American Board Certifications
- Gastroenterology, American Board of Internal Medicine
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Schaefer's research centers around the biology of how chronic liver disease develops, and specifically how small RNA molecules, called microRNAs, impact the progression of several chronic liver diseases, including alcoholic liver disease, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and viral hepatitis. Her research includes patient-based translational research as well as basic biology.
- Rodgers MA*, Villareal VA*, Schaefer EA, et al. Lipid Metabolite Profiling Identifies Desmosterol Metabolism as a New Antiviral Target for Hepatitis C Virus. J Am Chem Soc 2012. (*Authors contributed equally.)
Ding Q*, Lee Y*, Schaefer EA*, et al. A TALEN genome editing system for generating human stem cell based disease models. Cell Stem Cell 2013. 12(2) 238-251 (*Authors contributed equally)
Schaefer EA .... Chung RT. Apolipoprotein B100 is required for hepatitis C infectivity and Mipomersen inhibits hepatitis C. World J Gastroenterol 2016.
- Schaefer EA, ... Chung RT. Intermittent hypoxia is a proinflammatory stimulus resulting in IL-6 expression and M1 macrophage polarization. Hepatology Communications 2017.
- Schaefer E and Pratt DS. Autoimmune hepatitis: current challenges in diagnosis and management in a chronic progressive liver disease. Curr Opin Rheumatol 2012.
- Schaefer EA and Chung RT. Anti-hepatitis C virus drugs in development. Gastroenterology 2012.
- Schaefer EA and Chung, RT. HCV and Host Lipids: An Intimate Connection. Semin Liver Dis 2013.
- Schaefer EA, et al. Case 15-2019: A 55-Year-Old Man with Jaundice. NEJM. 2019.
- Schaefer EA. The Natural History of Chronic Liver Disease. Scientific American Hepatology, 2017.