In this presentation from September 17, 2021, Paul Arnstein, RN, PhD, FAAN, discusses how one of the best ways to manage pain is through an individualized plan based on the source of pain. Pain management is also modified and treated in a balanced way to help without harming the person.
Vibha Singhal, MD, MBBS
Vibha Singhal, MD, MBBS
Director, Pediatric Program, MGH Weight Center
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Mass General for Children: Pediatric Endocrine Program and Diabetes Center
55 Fruit St.
Boston, MA 02114
Mass. Eye and Ear at Concord
54 Baker Ave. Ext
Concord, MA 01742
Mass General Digestive Healthcare Center: Weight Center
50 Staniford St.
Boston, MA 02114
- Residency, Mayo Clinic
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
American Board Certifications
- Pediatric Endocrinology, American Board of Pediatrics
- Pediatrics, American Board of Pediatrics
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
My research interests include evaluation of bone outcomes in extremes of spectrums – anorexia nervosa to severe obesity. I am also interested in evaluating the role of different fat depots – visceral, subcutaneous, marrow and brown fat and their contribution to bone and metabolic consequences in various disease states like athletic triad and anorexia. My recent work focuses on evaluating metabolic changes that happen after bariatric surgery in adolescents and the potential mechanisms contributing to those changes.
Current Research Projects
Metabolic outcomes of bariatric surgery in adolescents
Ongoing: Beta-cell function after sleeve gastrectomy
Bone metabolism, neuroendocrine alterations and regional fat alterations in nutritional disorders including obesity, anorexia nervosa, and athletic amenorrhea.
Ongoing: Marrow fat changes in girls with anorexia nervosa and evaluating changes after estrogen and IGF-1 replacement
Listed only a few out of 14 first author and co-authored publications
- Singhal V, Schwenk,FW, Kumar S. Concise review of childhood and adolescent obesity. Mayo Clinic proceedings. 2007. 82(10): 1258-1263.
- Kamath CC, Vickers KS, Ehrlich A, McGovern L, Johnson J, Singhal V, Paulo R, Hettinger A, Erwin PJ, Montori VM. Clinical review: behavioral interventions to prevent childhood obesity: a systematic review and meta-analyses of randomized trials. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008. 93(12):4606-15.
- McGovern L, Johnson JN, Paulo R, Hettinger A, Singhal V, Kamath C, Erwin PJ, Montori VM. Clinical review: treatment of pediatric obesity: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized trials. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008. 93(12):4600-5
- Nader NS*, Singhal V*, Javed A, Weaver A, Kumar S: Temporal Trends in the Diagnosis and Management of Childhood Obesity/Overweight in Primary Care: J Prim Care Community Health. Jan 2014. ]. * = equal contribution.
- Singhal V, Misra M, Klibanski A: Endocrinology of anorexia nervosa in young people: recent insights : Current Opinions in Endocrinology, Diabetes and Obesity 2014 Feb; 21(1):64-7
- Singhal V, Maffazioli G, Cano Sokoloff N Ackerman KE, Lee H, Gupta, N, Clarke H, Slattery M, Bredella M, Misra M Regional Fat Depots and their Relationship to Bone Density and Microarchitecture in Young Oligo-amenorrheic Athletes. Bone, 77 (2015) 83-90
Related News and Articles
- Sep | 10 | 2021
In this presentation from September 10, 2021, learn the challenges that many families face when dealing with childhood obesity from Vibha Singhal, MD, MBBS. She shares insights and tips on how to manage childhood obesity.
- Apr | 6 | 2018
This year, MassGeneral Hospital for Children (MGHfC) celebrated its 10th annual Research Day, an event that recognizes the pioneering research of investigators throughout the hospital whose discoveries help to better understand childhood health and disease.
- Dec | 16 | 2016
For years, doctors could not determine why Olivia Renzi was growing so rapidly. In 2013, her mother brought Olivia to MGHfC. Olivia was diagnosed with gigantism, a rare growth disorder, but the diagnosis taught her to tap into a source of inner strength she didn't know she had.
- Apr | 4 | 2017
MassGeneral Hospital for Children (MGHfC) hosted its 9th annual Research Day on March 28, 2017, with innovative presentations, speakers and poster sessions. The event celebrated the pioneering research of investigators throughout MGHfC whose discoveries help to better understand childhood disease.
- Oct | 23 | 2018
Two physician scientists from MassGeneral Hospital for Children (MGHfC) have received pilot feasibility grants to conduct innovative preliminary research in the fields of pediatric gastroenterology, endocrinology and behavioral health.