Christopher Melnic, MD
Christopher Melnic, MD
Hip and Knee Replacement Orthopaedic Surgeon
Director, Adult Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship Program
Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, Harvard Medical School
Newton, MAPhone: 617-243-5155
Boston, MAPhone: 617-726-8575
Waltham, MAPhone: 617-726-8575
About Christopher Melnic, MD
Dr. Christopher Melnic is a fellowship-trained hip and knee surgeon specializing in minimally invasive hip and knee replacements as well as complex revision surgeries. He believes in creating a personalized experience with the highest level of service for his patients.
Dr. Melnic attended Boston College where he majored in Biology and minored in Mathematics. He was granted early acceptance into Tufts University School of Medicine where he obtained his medical degree. He completed his residency in Orthopaedic Surgery at The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania followed by a fellowship in Adult Joint Reconstruction at the prestigious Rush University in Chicago. During his fellowship, he focused on complex hip and knee replacement surgery, partial knee replacements, as well as minimally invasive surgical techniques. He also serves as the Director of the Adult Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship Program.
Dr. Melnic’s practice focuses on minimally invasive joint replacement that enables less pain and faster recovery times, complex primary and revision hip and knee replacement, partial knee replacements and robotic assisted surgery. Dr. Melnic utilizes efficient pain management pathways that allow for rapid recovery and faster return to normal activity. Select patients may qualify for outpatient joint replacement and go home the same day as surgery.
- Hip arthritis
- Hip fractures
- Hip pain
- Hip replacement
- Hip revision surgery
- Knee arthritis
- Knee pain
- Knee replacement
- Knee revision surgery
- Minimally invasive partial knee replacement
- Minimally invasive total hip replacement
- Minimally invasive total knee replacement
- Periprosthetic fractures
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Robotic hip and knee replacement surgery
Kaplan Joint Center at Newton-Wellesley Hospital
2014 Washington St.
Newton, MA 02462
Hip & Knee Replacement Service
55 Fruit Street
Yawkey Center for Outpatient Care
Boston, MA 02114
Orthopaedics at Mass General Waltham
52 Second Ave.
1st Floor, Suite 1150
Waltham, MA 02451
- MD, Tufts University School of Medicine
- Residency, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
- Fellowship, Rush University
American Board Certifications
- Orthopaedic Surgery, American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
Accepted Insurance Plans
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - ACD
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - PBO
- Medicare - ACD
- Medicare ACO - ACD
- Medicare ACO - PBO
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Outside
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
In 2014, Dr. Melnic and colleagues received the James A. Rand, MD Young Investigators Award from the American Association for Hip and Knee Surgeons for the most outstanding paper in the area of hip and knee replacement research. His research interests include outpatient total joint replacement, outcomes following hip and knee replacement surgery, and treatment of acetabular bone loss and pelvic discontinuity.
- Melnic CM, Paprosky WG. Extended trochanteric osteotomy: Component retrieval and repair. Seminars in Arthroplasty. 2016 Dec; 27(4): 264-267.
- Melnic CM, Paprosky WG. The management of complex periprosthetic fractures. Arthroplasty Today. 2016 Oct 18;2(4):139-140.
- Melnic CM, Sheth NP. Operative Technique: Acetabular Distraction for Severe Acetabular Bone Loss with Associated Chronic Pelvic Discontinuity. University of Pennsylvania Orthopaedic Journal. Vol 25: 68-70, 2015.
- Courtney PM, Rozell JC, Melnic CM, Sheth NP, Nelson CL. Effect of Malnutrition and Morbid Obesity on Complication Rates Following Primary Total Joint Arthroplasty. J Surg Orthop Adv. 2016 summer;25(2):99-104.
- Sheth NP, Melnic CM, Paprosky WG. Evaluation and Management of Chronic Total Hip Instability. Bone and Joint Journal. 98-B(1 Suppl A): 44-9, 2016.
- Courtney PM, Rozell JC, Melnic CM, Lee GC. Who Should Not Undergo Short Stay Hip and Knee Arthroplasty? Risk Factors Associated With Major Medical Complications Following Primary Total Joint Arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 2015 Sep;30(9 Suppl):1-4
- Sheth NP, Melnic CM, Rozell JC, Paprosky WG. Management of severe femoral bone loss in revision total hip arthroplasty. Orthop Clin North Am. 2015 Jul;46(3):329-42, ix.
- Courtney PM, Melnic CM, Zimmer Z, Anari J, Lee GC. Addition of Vancomycin to Cefazolin Prophylaxis Is Associated With Acute Kidney Injury After Primary Joint Arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2015 Jul;473(7):2197-203.
Secure online access to your health information whenever you need it. Check appointments, communicate with your provider and pay bills online 24/7.
#1 Research Hospital in America
Mass General is the #1 hospital in New England based U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals for 2022-2023.
Reviews: Comments and Ratings