George Tolis, MD
George Tolis, MD
Surgical Director, Coronary Artery Bypass Program
Quality Director, Division of Cardiac Surgery
Assistant Professor of Surgery, Harvard Medical School
Boston, MAPhone: 617-726-5608
About George Tolis, MD
George Tolis, MD, has a special interest in complex high risk cardiac surgery, including valve, coronary bypass, thoracic aortic procedures including acute dissections, surgery for endocarditis, as well as all types of cardiac re-operations. He also specializes in liberal use of in situ bilateral IMA grafts in coronary bypass grafting and surgery on high risk patients who have been rejected for trans-catheter aortic or mitral valve replacement.
Dr. Tolis was born in Chicago, Illinois. He graduated from Yale University summa cum laude with a Bachelor's and a Master's degree in Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry. Following graduation from Harvard Medical School in 1995, he completed an internship and residency in general surgery at Massachusetts General Hospital and a fellowship in cardiothoracic surgery at Yale-New Haven Hospital. Dr. Tolis then completed an advanced aortic fellowship at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City..
Dr. Tolis worked at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City as chief of aortic surgery and at St Elizabeth's Medical Center as chief of the Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery. He joined the cardiac surgery staff at Mass General in July 2014 where he is currently the surgical director of Coronary Bypass Surgery. He is also currently serving as a member of the Leadership Council at the Yale School of Public Health.
He is a concert pianist with a repertoire including multiple Chopin Waltzes and Scherzos as well as Mozart piano concertos.
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
- Aortic Arch Surgery
- Aortic dissection
- Aortic Root Surgery
- Bilateral Internal Mammary Artery CABG
- Cardiac (heart) Surgery
- Mitral Valve repair
- French, Greek
Mass General Heart Center: Cardiac Surgery
55 Fruit St.
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, Harvard Medical School
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital*****
- Fellowship, Mount Sinai Hospital Medical Center
- Fellowship, Yale New Haven Hospital
American Board Certifications
- Surgery, American Board of Surgery
- Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular Surgery), American Board of Thoracic Surgery
Accepted Insurance Plans
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Maine Community Health Options (MCHO)
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - ACD
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - PBO
- Medicare - ACD
- Medicare ACO - ACD
- Medicare ACO - PBO
- OSW - Connecticut
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Outside
- OSW - Rhode Island
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Tolis has published and presented nationally and internationally on liberal utilization of bilateral internal mammary arteries, aortic root and arch surgery and outcomes of high risk cardiac reoperations. He also has a special interest in resident surgical teaching and education.
Secure online access to your health information whenever you need it. Check appointments, communicate with your provider and pay bills online 24/7.
#1 Research Hospital in America
Mass General is the #1 hospital in New England based on U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals for 2022-2023.
Reviews: Comments and Ratings