- Centers & Specialties
- Clinical Interests
- Valve repair and replacement
- Pulmonary thromboendarterectomy
- Surgery of electrophysiologic disorders
- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
- Medical Education
- MD, Harvard Medical School
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center|Fellowship, Boston Children's Hospital|Fellowship, Cardiovascular Research Institute
- Board Certifications
- Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular Surgery)
- Surgical Critical Care
- Foreign Languages
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - SSN
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
- OSW - Connecticut
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - New York
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
Dr. Vlahakes is a widely published expert on complex heart conditions. He is a founder of the MGH Heart Center and participated in its inception and organization. He has a clinical practice that includes complex cardiac surgery, often involving patients with unique problems referred from across the US and from overseas.
- Research Summary
Dr. Vlahakes conducts research relevant to mitral valve physiology in heart failure and right heart function.
More than 680 physicians and guests gathered to celebrate at the ninth physician recognition dinner and the presentation of the McGovern Awards for Clinical Excellence.
Massachusetts General Hospital offers specialized operation to remove chronic blood clots from pulmonary arteries
Massachusetts General Hospital offers pulmonary thromboendarterectomy (PTE), a highly specialized operation to remove chronic blood clots in the lungs. Without surgery, patients who have this life-threatening disease will likely develop progressive shortness of breath so severe that it leads to heart failure.
Throughout the month of February, our doctors and specialists in the Massachusetts General Hospital Institute for Heart, Vascular and Stroke Care will be sharing their expertise on various heart conditions and offering prevention tips in recognition of American Heart Month. Roughly one in every four deaths in the U.S. each year is due to heart disease, making it the leading cause of death for Americans.
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696