- Centers & Specialties
- Clinical Interests
- Epidemiology of malformations
- Hereditary malformations
- Causes of malformations
- Prenatal Testing and Diagnosis
- Birth defects
- Genetic testing
- Medical Education
- MD, Duke University School of Medicine
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Board Certifications
- Clinical Genetics (M.D.)
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Patient Age Group
- Pediatric and Adult
- Provider Gender
- Research Summary
- For the past 40 plus years, I have worked on two major research projects: 1) searching for the causes of congenital malformations in infants; 2) determining the fetal effects from exposures during pregnancy. The first project was explored for 40 years (1972-2012) in the evaluation of all malformed liveborn and stillborn infants born at the Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston. The focus of the second project has been on the effects of anticonvulsant drugs taken by pregnant women, as well as several other exposures.
- Gold NB, Westgate MN, Holmes LB. Anatomic and etiological classification of congenital limb deficiencies. Am J Med Genet (Part A) 155:1225-1235, 2011.
- Holmes LB, Westgate MN. Inclusion and exclusion criteria for malformations in newborn infants exposed to potential teratogens. Birth Def Res (Part A): Clin Mol Teratol 91:807-812, 2011.
- Gardiner DM, Holmes LB. Hypothesis: terminal transverse limb defects with "nubbins" represent a regenerative process during limb development in human fetuses. Birth Def Res (Part A): Clin Mol Teratol 94:129-133, 2012.
- Hernandez-Diaz S, Smith CR, Shen A, Mittendorf R, Hauser WA, Yerby M, Holmes LB. Comparative safety of antiepileptic drugs during pregnancy. Neurology 78:1692-1699, 2012.
- Mehta U, Clerk C, Allen E, Yore M, Sevene E, Singlovic J, Petzold M, Mangiaterra V, Elefant E, Sullivan FM, Holmes LB, Gomes M. Protocol for a drug exposure pregnancy registry for implementation in resource-limited settings. BMC Pregnant Childbirth 12:89, 2012.
- Maheshware A, Athale S, Lekhra OP, Tela K, Hernandez-Diaz S, Holmes LB. Comparative safety of antiepileptic drugs during pregnancy. 80:689-690, 2013.
- Holmes LB. Common Malformations, Oxford University Press, NY, 2012.
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114
Phone 1: 617-726-1742
Phone 2: 617-726-1745